Why are these fuses blowing - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2004, 06:29 PM   #21
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The PT7 devices are probably a standard device that Cyrus mark up with their own number. TIP41C have been used in many nice amplifiers and should be fine. If you wanted to go better than that you may be able to find a suitable Japanese 2SCxxxx device, but these are generally hard to find. If you buy all the transistors as I suggested you will be in for a bill of about £10.

Can you give a clue as to how the amp blew? Was it broken when you got it?
Old 24th May 2004, 05:09 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I got the amp off my uncle, but apparently it worked well when he used it last (3 years ago).

Have put the amp into a shop to get repaired - as not overly confidant that I wouldn't solder the surrounding components together when replacing the transistors.

When I get it back is there any special way everything should be connected? To avoid blowing anything else?

There seems to be only one output for the speakers but my Linn Kaber LS500's have 3 left and right inputs and can be bi/tri and single wired/amped by means of shifting some plates. I only have the one amp though, so does this mean I just single wire them ie one plate over all three left and the other over all three right at each speaker?

Thanks again for all the help and advice

Darin
Old 24th May 2004, 08:50 PM   #23
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

If it was working fine when you were given it then I think you may have damaged it by putting the amp unit fuses in I am surprised though that this did anything to the output stage, most likely it would damage the PSU capacitors and/or rectifier diodes.

To bi- or tri-wire your speakers all you need to do is join all 2/3 wires into one 4mm banana plug at the amp end. Then remove the plates on the speaker and wire the separate connections.
Old 24th May 2004, 09:00 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Is that not the same as running just the one set of wires and using the plates?
Old 24th May 2004, 09:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi Darin,

I haven't red the thread very carefully but do you use slow blowing fuses marked with a "T"?

I guess you have glass tube fuses?
Old 24th May 2004, 10:02 PM   #26
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The Cyrus amp requires fast blow (marked F) type fuses.

Quote:
Is that not the same as running just the one set of wires and using the plates?
LOL don't let any bi-wire advocates read that What did you think bi-wiring was, then?
Old 5th June 2004, 02:09 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

It would seem that I do not fully understand this single/bi & tri wiring.

My amp only has one set of red and black outputs for each of the left and right speakers. The Kabers have 3 sets of red and black inputs per speaker.

So from this info can I bi and tri wire with what I have? (obviously I would need more cable). If so are you saying that removing the plates and running three separate sets of wires for a speaker back into the amp ie 3 cables going into each banna plug - that I will improve the sound? It seems the same as having the plates on and running just the one set of wires as everything is connected to each other anyway.

Must remind you that I am an amatuer to all this so what may seem obvious to you is not for me.

I have recieved the Cyrus units back and its all go. The cyrus/kaber combination produces an awesome sound - I'm very impressed.

Thanks again for all the advice
Old 6th June 2004, 08:07 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

One other query you may be able to help with -

When the Cyrus II and the Cyrus PSX units are conected and music is coming from the speakers, if I switch both units off the sound fades after about 30 seconds. If I switch only one or the other off the music still stays the same (as long as any one of the units power switch is on). And most bizzare when I switch off and disconnect the Cyrus PSX unit completely there is no difference.

This makes absolutely no sense to me, can you explain why and what the Cyrus PSX does or is supposed to do.

Cheers
Darin
Old 6th June 2004, 08:16 PM   #29
Geoff is offline Geoff  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Darin P-B
This makes absolutely no sense to me, can you explain why and what the Cyrus PSX does or is supposed to do.
Yes, I can and will do so in a reply to your separate email.
Old 7th June 2004, 05:36 PM   #30
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So from this info can I bi and tri wire with what I have? (obviously I would need more cable). If so are you saying that removing the plates and running three separate sets of wires for a speaker back into the amp ie 3 cables going into each banna plug - that I will improve the sound? It seems the same as having the plates on and running just the one set of wires as everything is connected to each other anyway.
Indeed, you can bi- or tri-wire just with what you have, plus more cable. I'm not saying it will improve the sound, some people claim it makes a difference, that's all. Note that what you may percieve as differences to the sound by bi- or tri-wiring may actually be down to the simple fact that you have more cable capacity going to the speaker. To confirm this, leave all the cables connected and put the shorting plates on again.

Regarding the PSX, the main amp power switch is redundant when the PSX is connected. The PSX just substitues a more beefy power supply than the main amp one.

Hide this!Advertise here!