How This Circuit Works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where is a oscillator on this circuit?

Attachments

• classd1.jpg
    classd1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,572
The whole amp is an oscillator. This is an example of a self oscillating class D amplifier. Other examples are UcD, Mueta and ICE-power. Do a search on these to learn the difference between open loop class D amplifiers that use a fixed frequency sawtooth or triangle wave, that is compared to the input signal, and the self oscillating amplifiers that use a hysteresis controller to determine the approximate oscillating frequency.

It is explained also here: http://hem.passagen.se/johanps/audioexperiment/Amp0_5/DesignDescription_0_5.htm

Or even better: read the book 'High efficiency audio power amplifiers; design and practical use' from Ronan van der Zee, you can get the pdf for free! http://doc.utwente.nl/fid/1351
It is on page 48.

Steven

:rolleyes:

thanks,steven

anyone build self oscillating class-d amplifier,how good is the sound,it is better than class-AB.i thing want to build one class-d
amplifier with switching power supply, +/- 130V.so anyone can
advise me,now i have some ic AD8561/LM311/IR2106/IR2110&
IR2153.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have built a self-oscillating Class D, that is to say, one without
a clock, and it worked fine. I have no reason to think it would
suffer from other than the ordinary limitations of Class D
amplifiers, which is to say switching speed, comparator
sensitivity, and output filtering.

Do a search on these to learn the difference between open loop class D amplifiers that use a fixed frequency sawtooth or triangle wave, that is compared to the input signal, and the self oscillating amplifiers that use a hysteresis controller to determine the approximate oscillating frequency.

You forgot the third principle: Those self-oscillating ones that use phase-shift for stable oscillation.

Regards

Charles

Given the latest incarnations of self-oscillating designs like Philips UCD it looks as if the performance/complexity ratio is definitley better for the self-oscillating designs.
One advantage of the carrier based designs is that they can be accurately run at a specific frequency. This has advantages when the input signal is coming from a D/A converter using only marginal output filtering. The other advantage is the possible use of notch filters in order to get rid of the output ripple.
I once designed a carrier-based class-d amp that had a carrier suppression of more than 80 dB that way.

Regards

Charles

HI bellx
I think you confused with class-AB & class-D amplifier,Is you
need more power you must increased voltage, one pair mosfet is
enough to drive up to 1 kw on half bridge configuration,so now I just
strat my class-D amplifier project,voltage +/- 130-150v ,mosfet use
irf450 ,power supply user ETD 49 CORE with ir2153 self oscillation
driver can up to 400W /4 ohm,but power supply design is not completed:rolleyes:

GEORGE HO said:
HI bellx
I think you confused with class-AB & class-D amplifier,Is you
need more power you must increased voltage, one pair mosfet is
enough to drive up to 1 kw on half bridge configuration,so now I just
strat my class-D amplifier project,voltage +/- 130-150v ,mosfet use
irf450 ,power supply user ETD 49 CORE with ir2153 self oscillation
driver can up to 400W /4 ohm,but power supply design is not completed:rolleyes:

Hi,

IRF450.....500V, 13 amps? RdsOnb .4ohms....seems kind of high..if you doubled them up...you could have 26 amps.... 0.2ohms...which still seems high, but there is at least a reason for doing it.

Bit harder to drive though.

I think the prefered solution seems to be, find a better mosfet, which can be a real pain, but in the end the payoff is large.

Your amp sounds interesting...I'd like to know how that controller works for you.

Good luck,

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.