Chattering Relay in Krell KSA-250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I take the plunge and buy a Krell KSA-250 from ebay. Powered it up and find one channel's relays are chattering. Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz

(applying finger pressure to the cap of the relay mutes the sound but I can still "feel" the buzzing)

I have not checked DC offset or DC at the outputs and am "hoping" that this is only a symptom of a dried out smoothing cap on the relay's coils.

Any experiences are welcome:

Additional note: It is the speaker engaging relay; not the power up relay. This is the one that engages after 2 sec delay.

thanks!!

PS: Written to the seller.... no reply yet... why am I not surprised? :whazzat: :whazzat: :whazzat:

Buzzing relay

Does it buzz after a 2sec delay or does it buzz immediately?
If it's 50 or 100Hz buzz, then it could very well be a dried up cap.
If it's on a seperate "protection" pcb then it will make checking the components easier.
It could also check for a dc offset at the output though, so it's a good idea to measure that, but I don't think that would give a buzz. It's probably not a big problem to fix.
Good luck:)

Do a fast test, a dirty solution

Put a diode in relay coil, also invert it fast to see if it works without noise.... no result?.... put small condenser and will increasing it till 22 uF... no result.

DAMAGE!, real problem, DC off set...over current, over voltage, Lower voltage, transistor that controls the relay, or need a finger on it (ha ha ha, smile, please).... sometimes a rubber can be good to avoid vibrations.... because to much search, sometimes we make a short with the multimeter points and...bummmmm!

Carlos

From my own experiance...no. I mean, both are certainly possible, but for relays, the engaging transistor operates continually in a saturated state. C-E voltage rising or leakage from aging is pretty common...and on units I restore, the driving transistor gets replaced as a matter of course.

Chattering is not good for the thin plating on the relay contacts ..it will pit and wear them quickly.

This kind of circuit senses the ac voltage from the power transformer independantly of the main reservoir caps. It will probably use a large series resistor and cap to give the 2 sec delay. there will probably be a diode in reverse to discharge this cap quickly when switched off. I don't know the actual circuit, but they all provide the same function. The time constant is chosen so that it will give a steady output voltage, and hence relay switched on, during the 10mS pulses from the transformer.
time = 1/f = 1/100Hz = 10mS
If the time constant is say 12ms, then the output will be steady. When the power is switched off, the relay switches off after 12mS.
If the fault reduces the time constant to say 5mS, then the relay will see pulses instead of a steady voltage, causing relay chatter.
There are many ways to achieve this. there may be two seperate timing devices, one for turn on delay, the other for turn off delay.

Try to identify and change the components in this circuit.
Krell might use a tricky-dicky circuit, just because it's Krell.

Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.