Walt Jung IC opamp/buffer combo vs. discrete?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm sure many of you have seen the Walt Jung articles, "Walt's Tips & Tools" on planetee.com where he describes tricks for optimizing opamp performance. have any of you tried the opamp/discrete buffer combo he suggests? wonder how it sounds compared to a good discrete circuit, in particular a simple discrete opamp design as shown in Nelson Pass's opamp article. i'm also wondering how the Class A buffer sounds by itself, maybe it's possible to

i am most likely going to build my multi-channel preamp with opamps of some sort or another but am not sure whether to start tinkering with discrete circuits or go with tried-and-true IC layouts. i'd rather avoid using ICs if possible (actually no circuitry at all would be ideal of course :p ) but i don't know if i have the perseverence to tweak endlessly with a discrete design. any thoughts?

cheers,
marc

Marc,

I am an advocate of single ended mosfet buffers. Most ic's require an additional buffer added into their feedback at the output of the ic. Feedback should correct any offset caused by the buffer.

Jam

P.S. I noticed that you spell Nelson Pass's name with capitals thus avoiding any stray bolts of lightning. :D

jam,

will a single-ended FET buffer work inside a feedback loop? i thought with single-ended circuits, capacitor coupling was the only way to eliminate offset because the output has to kept in the linear operating region of the transistor, thus creating the DC offset... won't cancelling this offset with the feedback loop cause problems?

marc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.