heatsink question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to using heatsinks and I have a trivial question. The heatsink I am going to use (lm3886 amp) is about 3 by 4 inches (fins out type). The casing for my amp is an aluminium box closed in the back. On this back side, if I cut most of the aluminium away and just left a small border (say 1cm), can I bolt on the heat sink to the this border on the back (the back of the casing will be the same size as the heatsink). The lm3886 will still be directly on the heatsink (attached through the cut out window in the aluminium back). Will I run into any problems doing this?

Thanks!

No, this is the best thing you can do. You have most direct contact between the chip and the heatsink, wich is usually far better then putting a layer of sheet metal (your box' wall) in betwwen.

Take care of the volrage on the mounting surface of the LM, I don't know if there is any at the moment. Maybe grounded, check out the datasheet.

And: don't use any thermal grease between chip an heatsink if you ar not going to isolate it proberly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.