Simple and cheap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2004, 09:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Simple and cheap

Hi guys!

I have a big problem!
I want to build a little and simple power amplifier without chips. Would like to build it with 2N3055 or similar. It have to be cheap and good sounding (no high end but cheap and clean). I would like to use it to power my computer speakers. Oh almost forgot- power between 10W and 15W and NO class A.
No chips....... solid state. Any suggestions?

I have looked for it in my documetation and in web and have found nothing that fits- hope I wouldn't have to design it myself. Rather to build something that was build allready

regards
daniel
Old 10th May 2004, 05:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

O.k. - I guess this one is hard one.....

Well - it doesn't have to be only with 2n3055, also maybe with MJE15003 or TIP31 or, ...... Something that is not hard to find- I would like to spend to much money on that amplifiers- only that much to have good quality sound- not too much money for a relatively good sound......
10W to 15W would be sufficient..........

Nothing that I have in my library doesn't fit in that what I'm looking for
It would be great help if someone would have such an information
regards
daniel
Old 10th May 2004, 05:27 AM   #3
argo is offline argo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Maybe JLH 15-20W Class AB

http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/jlhab.htm
Old 10th May 2004, 07:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by argo
Maybe JLH 15-20W Class AB

http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/jlhab.htm

Wow!

Didn't know that one exists.... Thanks argo........
Does anyone have anything else in mind? It would be 10-15W rather than 15-20W? I know I know I am asking tooooo much.....

regards
daniel
Old 10th May 2004, 08:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Sparkle,

My first idea would indeed be the JLH 15-20W class AB amp.. very simple, won't cost much, having good specs and from a designer with an reputation... this might be an alternative:

http://sound.westhost.com/project12.htm

look at figure 1 .. I can help you with the adjustment for +30V supply.. I have made one, and it does allright, great for a dirt-cheap amplifier... offcourse you could adjust http://sound.westhost.com/project12.htm for 15Watt too...

goodluck,
Thijs

BTW.. there was a thread about cheap amplifier cicrcuits here some months ago....
Old 10th May 2004, 08:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tschrama
Hi Sparkle,

My first idea would indeed be the JLH 15-20W class AB amp.. very simple, won't cost much, having good specs and from a designer with an reputation... this might be an alternative:

http://sound.westhost.com/project12.htm

look at figure 1 .. I can help you with the adjustment for +30V supply.. I have made one, and it does allright, great for a dirt-cheap amplifier... offcourse you could adjust http://sound.westhost.com/project12.htm for 15Watt too...

goodluck,
Thijs

BTW.. there was a thread about cheap amplifier cicrcuits here some months ago....

Oh my,
I was looking it allready. This design don't use balanced power supply. Also I was looking at diyaudio forum for about 1-2 hours several designs and none of them didn't qualify. Maybe I would use attached one at the end afterall......
O.k. I won't attach it - my connection here is soooo slow I can't belive....(I can't download it form web)... Well, consider the problem solved....... Thanks to all that helped...
Old 10th May 2004, 09:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Daniel,

JLH 15-20W class AB amp can be converted to dual powersupply as well. Geoff Moss kindly provided a schematic of this update to me once. I created PSB for this schematic (I think I still have the Eagle files somewhere in my computer) and even built it but newer finished it because the lack of time and other interests. But I have a gut feeling that this can be a very fine amp.
If you donít need that much of power you can reduce the powersupply voltage.

cheers,

Argo
Old 10th May 2004, 09:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Daniel,

JLH 15-20W class AB amp can be converted to dual powersupply as well. Geoff Moss kindly provided a schematic of this update to me once. I created PSB for this schematic (I think I still have the Eagle files somewhere in my computer) and even built it but newer finished it because the lack of time and other interests. But I have a gut feeling that this can be a very fine amp.
If you donít need that much of power you can reduce the powersupply voltage.

cheers,

Argo

Hi Argo,
Well if You have that schematic and also if You have some suggestions about what transistors to use instead of the old ones, then I don't know how would I thank You. I would use that sch. then- maybe with little reduced power supply voltages or something - will see.
Best regards
daniel

edit: I don't have great demands for quality for this one- only that is good - so this one might be not good but perfect........
Old 10th May 2004, 12:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Daniel,

What is your application for that amp that you don't demand much of it, everybody else is trying to find that one, ultimate design here ?

Anyhow I will look that circuit up. I belive Geoff, the author of these modifications doesnít mind if post it here.

regards

Argo
Old 10th May 2004, 12:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Daniel,

What is your application for that amp that you don't demand much of it, everybody else is trying to find that one, ultimate design here ?

Anyhow I will look that circuit up. I belive Geoff, the author of these modifications doesnít mind if post it here.

regards

Argo

Yes I know;
I have 2 pairs of car speakers (HTC 20W nominal) that I want to put in 2 boxes and make them active with some kind of simple, good and cheap amplifier. I would like to connect my computer on it......
regards
daniel

If posting is the problem - my mail is: dmustranREMOVE_PLEASE@yahoo.co.uk

Hide this!Advertise here!