Simple and cheap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!

I have a big problem!
I want to build a little and simple power amplifier without chips. Would like to build it with 2N3055 or similar. It have to be cheap and good sounding (no high end but cheap and clean). I would like to use it to power my computer speakers. Oh almost forgot- power between 10W and 15W and NO class A.
No chips....... solid state. Any suggestions?

I have looked for it in my documetation and in web and have found nothing that fits- hope I wouldn't have to design it myself. Rather to build something that was build allready :D

regards
daniel

O.k. - I guess this one is hard one.....

Well - it doesn't have to be only with 2n3055, also maybe with MJE15003 or TIP31 or, ...... Something that is not hard to find- I would like to spend to much money on that amplifiers- only that much to have good quality sound- not too much money for a relatively good sound......
10W to 15W would be sufficient..........

Nothing that I have in my library doesn't fit in that what I'm looking for:(
It would be great help if someone would have such an information
regards
daniel

Hi Sparkle,

My first idea would indeed be the JLH 15-20W class AB amp.. very simple, won't cost much, having good specs and from a designer with an reputation... this might be an alternative:

http://sound.westhost.com/project12.htm

look at figure 1 .. I can help you with the adjustment for +30V supply.. I have made one, and it does allright, great for a dirt-cheap amplifier... offcourse you could adjust http://sound.westhost.com/project12.htm for 15Watt too...

goodluck,
Thijs

BTW.. there was a thread about cheap amplifier cicrcuits here some months ago....

tschrama said:
Hi Sparkle,

My first idea would indeed be the JLH 15-20W class AB amp.. very simple, won't cost much, having good specs and from a designer with an reputation... this might be an alternative:

http://sound.westhost.com/project12.htm

look at figure 1 .. I can help you with the adjustment for +30V supply.. I have made one, and it does allright, great for a dirt-cheap amplifier... offcourse you could adjust http://sound.westhost.com/project12.htm for 15Watt too...

goodluck,
Thijs

BTW.. there was a thread about cheap amplifier cicrcuits here some months ago....

Oh my,
I was looking it allready. This design don't use balanced power supply. Also I was looking at diyaudio forum for about 1-2 hours several designs and none of them didn't qualify. Maybe I would use attached one at the end afterall......
O.k. I won't attach it - my connection here is soooo slow I can't belive....(I can't download it form web)... Well, consider the problem solved....... Thanks to all that helped...

Daniel,

JLH 15-20W class AB amp can be converted to dual powersupply as well. Geoff Moss kindly provided a schematic of this update to me once. I created PSB for this schematic (I think I still have the Eagle files somewhere in my computer) and even built it but newer finished it because the lack of time and other interests. But I have a gut feeling that this can be a very fine amp.
If you don’t need that much of power you can reduce the powersupply voltage.

cheers,

Argo

argo said:
Daniel,

JLH 15-20W class AB amp can be converted to dual powersupply as well. Geoff Moss kindly provided a schematic of this update to me once. I created PSB for this schematic (I think I still have the Eagle files somewhere in my computer) and even built it but newer finished it because the lack of time and other interests. But I have a gut feeling that this can be a very fine amp.
If you don’t need that much of power you can reduce the powersupply voltage.

cheers,

Argo

Hi Argo,
Well if You have that schematic and also if You have some suggestions about what transistors to use instead of the old ones, then I don't know how would I thank You. I would use that sch. then- maybe with little reduced power supply voltages or something - will see.
Best regards
daniel

edit: I don't have great demands for quality for this one- only that is good - so this one might be not good but perfect........

Daniel,

What is your application for that amp that you don't demand much of it, everybody else is trying to find that one, ultimate design here ;)?

Anyhow I will look that circuit up. I belive Geoff, the author of these modifications doesn’t mind if post it here.

regards

Argo

argo said:
Daniel,

What is your application for that amp that you don't demand much of it, everybody else is trying to find that one, ultimate design here ;)?

Anyhow I will look that circuit up. I belive Geoff, the author of these modifications doesn’t mind if post it here.

regards

Argo

Yes I know;
I have 2 pairs of car speakers (HTC 20W nominal) that I want to put in 2 boxes and make them active with some kind of simple, good and cheap amplifier. I would like to connect my computer on it......:D
regards
daniel

If posting is the problem - my mail is: dmustranREMOVE_PLEASE@yahoo.co.uk

Ok here's the schematic.

Attachments

• sch.png
    sch.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 502
I tried to make one for you

And i took an old idea..... from an Uher amplifier.... this way i redesign it and update something.
When finished.... i perceive was a Cheapo amplifier from Mr Elliot there.... very similar.... this way.... go to ESP and take a look at Mr. Elliot's Cheapo amplifier.
I think is a very good idea... also to you see how much we are making things better (this has some little ironie.... is not a complete reality for me... sometimes older valves ashamed new ones!)
But all of that is subjective, and of course variates from person to person, country to country and age to age.
I will not post the one i made for you.... just because has too much identities with Cheappo.

Carlos

Re: I tried to make one for you

argo said:
Ok here's the schematic.

Thanks Argo for the sch...
regards
daniel

destroyer X said:
And i took an old idea..... from an Uher amplifier.... this way i redesign it and update something.
When finished.... i perceive was a Cheapo amplifier from Mr Elliot there.... very similar.... this way.... go to ESP and take a look at Mr. Elliot's Cheapo amplifier.
I think is a very good idea... also to you see how much we are making things better (this has some little ironie.... is not a complete reality for me... sometimes older valves ashamed new ones!)
But all of that is subjective, and of course variates from person to person, country to country and age to age.
I will not post the one i made for you.... just because has too much identities with Cheappo.

Carlos

Carlos - thanks- I saw that one too and it is o.k.- nice job done there.

Guys - I must tell You something but please don't be angry with me......

:( :(

My friend gave me 2 assembled pcb's of one amplifier with 2n3055 at the output. I have to add 2n3055 and some heatsink (which is rather small one) and a transformer (which I have for that one). So, the problem is solved I guess....... This amp is just that I was looking for so also thanks to my friend.

best regards
daniel

No worries, you started an interesting thread!

Anybody have any comments about the sound of the JLH AB?

or the split rail supply version?

BTW, the JLH 15w doesn't seem much simpler than Rod Elliots p3a to me, which during testing Rod had working on +/- 8v, maybe that was the p3 though.......

tschrama said:
Hi argo,

Are you sure there's no mistake in the circiut you posted? The output stage is no longer complementairy, which was essential in the original JLH 15-20W class AB article circuit. This won't work I think.

Regards,
Thijs

Errr... :scratch1: Yes you are right - the original article indicates complementary transistors. :att'n: So error correction would be for Q4 - NPN device 2N3055 and for Q5 - PNP device MJ2955.
Sorry for misleading

Argo

Guys, no problem - You must wait till I come home- it is on my home computer......
Oh, one more- it is 40W/8Ohm :cannotbe: (60W/4Ohm). It is an old Elektor design from 1983 and my friend was using it as his main amplifier. I will lower the power supply a little and use it as it is. Also will take an input potentiometer to lower the sensitivity and here we go.
Well - I have everything for that one know .....

Mark25; Yes it is an interesting thread- seems that You can count the number of low power (10-15W) and good quality power amplifiers on the fingers of one hand....:(

Regards
daniel

p.s. I wil post some schematics and some pictures as soon as I can on this thread
(hope Elektor wouldn't mind):D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.