Need a book sugestion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2004, 08:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tpenguin Send a message via AIM to tpenguin Send a message via Yahoo to tpenguin
Default Need a book sugestion

I've searched through the forums, and I seen several mentions and recommendations for books on amplifier design and construction, but in my experience, these assume more of an understanding of basic electronics and electronic theory than I have. I've learned a few things here and there, but I still don't know anything close to what I want to know. For one thing, I want a book that will take me from a beginner level, to at least a knowledgable intermediate level. I want something to explain in detail basic electronic theory and and all the equations one needs for designing a circuit. I don't want it to be specific to audio, as I would like to be able to build other types of circuits as well. I want most of the focus to be on discrete circuits, with lots of information given about BJTs and FETs, and I would also like at least an introduction to digital circuits. I also don't want to spend more than about US $60. I don't know if a book exissts that covers all those topics in depth and gives a broad overview of other topics, but please tell me about any books you have read that sort of fit that description.
Old 9th May 2004, 09:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default The Art Of Electronics

Horowitz and Hill

Try http://www.artofelectronics.com/

Money well spend
Old 10th May 2004, 07:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i concur..this is an excellent book..bit expensice..but im sure you can shop around..it covers almost all aspects of electronics..
Old 10th May 2004, 07:58 PM   #4
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

I think the mentioned book is a good suggestion as it covers (not only) basic things very well.
I wouldn´t go for "specialized" book like the ones from Randy Slone or Douglas Self as you´d still need the basics.
I had a very good reading also in the articles from Nelson Pass at Pass DIY.
It covers basic discrete opamps and how mosfets work and much more. (diyopamp.pdf, A75-amplifier.pdf´s for example)
Old 10th May 2004, 08:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tpenguin Send a message via AIM to tpenguin Send a message via Yahoo to tpenguin
Default Re: The Art Of Electronics

Quote:
Originally posted by rtirion
Horowitz and Hill

Try http://www.artofelectronics.com/

Money well spend
Quote:
Originally posted by demons_wing
i concur..this is an excellent book..bit expensice..but im sure you can shop around..it covers almost all aspects of electronics..
I have found a few fairly good deals on it on Amazon's "marketplace," but even Amazon's price of $75 with free shipping seems quite good for such a large and comprehensive book. It seems to cover everything I was looking for and then some, but with its last printing in 1989, I'm a bit concerned that a lot of the information, particularly that regarding FET's, IC's (especially digital), and digital circuit design may be outdated. I realized that quite a lot of these things don't change, but new manufacturing processes and simply new uses for various devices have cropped up since then. I'm sure that later I can find some more in-depth and recent books about any specific areas I want to cover without spending too much extra money. Overall, I think this book looks like a good way to start out, even if it's not exactly "current." I'm still open to suggestions, though, and if anybody could recommend a very cheap <$20 book that would serve well as a companion or supplemental for certain areas where this book might fall short, I might consider buying that as well. Thanks guys.
Old 10th May 2004, 08:32 PM   #6
azira is offline azira  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Need a book sugestion

I guess I don't know how to put this without sounding like a pompous stuck up member of the board like some people come off as, but I'll try.
Honestly, anyone in the EE/Comp. Eng field will agree with me, the quantity of topics you are asking about is taught in a minimum of 3 semesters of instructor guided work. That means working out problems and examples, homework, tests, quizzes, and lab experiments. For my school, I had to take Analog Electronics I, Analog Electronics II, and a Digital Logic Design class. I actually had to take a few more but that was the core for what you're asking.
The AE I class only managed to cover basic single ended circuits, they put the blocks down for AE II which went into multistage amplifier circuits. These books ,used for AE, also have some digital logic sections in them: "Jaeger, Microelectronic Circuit Design", and "Sedra and Smith, Microelectronic Circuits" I prefer the Sedra Smith one over Jaeger. Both are very excellent books. But, they are college text books and while I don't think that one could not learn it on their own, I do think that I would have had a VERY difficult time studying those books without guidance.
But please keep in mind, these books are focused on theory, not on practice. This does not nearly mean that you can't do your own design. You can go very far with plug and chug simulations and basic knowledge. The equations and topologies for virtually every amplifier configuration is well published even on the net. Plug it into a free SPICE program, ask it to print out the answer to the equation that says "Thd =" and start tweaking values.
Old 10th May 2004, 08:35 PM   #7
rif is offline rif  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by demons_wing

Try ebay! I just picked up an excellent copy for $25.
Old 10th May 2004, 08:56 PM   #8
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

The into to Horowitz and Hall indicates that the goal of the book is to educate those who need design knowledge sufficient to construct devices that satisfy limited needs but whose goals do not include becoming full time electronics engineers. Someone who really applies themself can be a bit more sophisticated than trial and error with a Spice simulator, yet have no pretentions to ever becomming a Self, Rowland, Pass or Carver.

There are other fields with analogous cicumstances. Excellent houses have been designed and constructed by single individuals with no credentials as archetects, electricians or plumbers but just the desire ti do and the persistance to learn.
Old 10th May 2004, 09:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

azira,
You seem to be slightly misunderstanding my goals. I don't expect to be come an expert from reading one book, or even a shelf-full of books, and that's not what I want, anyway. I'm just a beginning hobbyist trying to become a more competent hobbyist and be capable of doing more than just soldering together components on a PCB. While the books you mentioned may or may not be books that I could get through on my own, they cost much more than I want to spend, and being college texts, they are intended to go along with an actually course. I also have no idea on how well-written or easy to follow they are. I am more specifically looking for a book that is intended to be self-taught. And while formal education is far from the only way of learning quite a lot about electronics, I do plan to major in EE, but until I transfer in another year or so, I won't be able to take any type of electronics classes, and I simply do not want to wait that long to get a basic understanding of electronics.

Also, even if it was completely unintentional, your post could certainly be easily interpreted as "snobby." For one thing, the two books you listed were obviously far above my ~$60 price range, and you stated that as college texts, they would be very difficult to study on one's own. As this is very far from what I asked for, I do not see how these would be good suggestions. Secondly, while I certainly respect your education, stating that the only way to get basic knowledge on a broad range of subjects specific to electronics is a minimum of 3 semesters of college courses, labs, etc. is not only untrue but could be interpreted as "I took all these courses to learn what you want to know, so you couldn't possibly learn these things on your own." I am well aware of what courses I need to take, and what is taught in them, so there is no need to give me a course catalog. Now, if after reading my initial request, you still wished to suggest these books that don't really fit my requirements, you could have simply listed the titles and authors, with the qualification that they are college texts and as such are expensive and perhaps difficult to follow. You could then tell me the good/bad points about the particular texts. Instead, the impression I got from reading your post was that you were telling me that I couldn't possibly learn these things without spending 4+ years in an engineering school. Which not only is insulting to me, but to anyone else on this board (and I'm sure there are many) who have worked very hard to teach themselves all they know about electronics.

Now, I'm sure that what I said above was a result of my interpretting your post very differently from the way you intended. This is very easy to do in textual communication because we rely a great deal on inflections in the voice and facial expressions to determine what someone actually means in human communication. Because of this, you have to be very careful about what you write, and try to think about how it might come accross. If you feel the need to include "I don't mean to be..." or "I'm not trying to sound..." in your post, then it probably does sound exactly what you don't want it to sound like. And lastly, "pompous, stuck-up member of the board like some people come off as" does not really seem like a nice thing to say about other members regardless of how one interprets it.

To help clarify what I mean, this message should be read not with an angry, but a slightly offended and defensive tone.
Old 10th May 2004, 09:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Buy H&H. It is the best overall book for you. Get it used, if you can. I cannot advise better, it is NOT out of date.

Hide this!Advertise here!