Lavaradin Amp and "Memory distortion"...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a technical forum and, as such, a scientific method should be applicable to demonstrate quantitatively any change that is supposed to happen.

Yes, but which quantity to measure? And, who can confirm that the measured improvement accounts for the difference in sound?
Then, only as a complement to this scientific method could there be subjective correlates or favorable qualitative opinions about the improvements that can be verified.

Yes, but the experiment must be done before any opinion (or conclusion) is emitted. Here I see only opinions and no experiment...

But the subjective opinion alone is insufficient, since it could be conditioned by a lot of situations that nothing could have to do with the supposed improvements that are attributed.

Again, the expert tell us what to measure.
The opinion about sound quality is better than opinion about expected behavior given an accepted model or paradigm, which is most of the times, imperfect and transitory.

Douglas Self and other very respectable and objective members have not been able to find perceptible changes of improvement in relation to this issue in discrete systems.

The ability to faithfully reproduce the attack segment of a signal lies in the ability of the circuit to follow signals of a certain initial growth rate, partly compatible with the slew rate limitation for high frequency signals and partly compatible with the limitation imposed by the values ​​of the capacitors (if any) to couple the signal between the different stages for low frequency signals.

The enhancement in the low level details are favored with a great rejection to the ripple of the power supply and with a lower noise floor of the system. This evolution would have to be analyzed in relation to the frequency or the bandwidth intended for listening. I have not seen analyzed or measured how that is finally in the proposed systems.

Best regards

Then no advance in the art is to be expected...

I don't have the gear to measure complex attributes of the signal. Maybe those who have them may get interested in experimenting.

Best wishes,
M.

The current state of development of the processing of electrical audio signals has been able to detail even below the lower limits of human perception. Trying to develop a hardware even more complex than the current, to reproduce even smaller details would not make much sense than academic.

I have excluded transducers from this consideration. I only consider electronics, for this moment.

The ear alone is not a precise instrument to give a verdict about a certain technical implementation. As proof of this, I am going to propose you a very simple test:

I propose that you try to give an order to the 4 sound files that I will upload according to the degree of distortion that you think you perceive. Then, assign the percentage of distortion that you think each of them has and, if you dare, show what form of distortion they might have.

Disables any spectrum analyzer that you have when reproducing them, since that would make it easier to distinguish visually any difference.

After you give an order to those files, I will upload the specific order that those files have and the percentage and type of distortion they have.

The files have an .asc extension, but simply rename to .wav in order to play them.

This simple and imperfect test is with tones of constant amplitude. If we tried to discriminate more complex files, masquerades and many other things would come into play, which would make the test even more difficult.

Best regards

PD: Many implementations can represent a placebo and induce the listener into false perception by the mere fact of knowing that these implementations are in the circuit, which does not mean that differences can really be perceived.

PD2: With a little effort and time, you can make a schematic circuit "sing" literally. I've done it with Multisim 14 and LabVIEW. That way, you can verify if the implementations make audible difference. See DLH amplifier.

Attachments

• abc.asc
    886 KB · Views: 55
  • def.asc
    878 KB · Views: 39
  • ghi.asc
    886 KB · Views: 44
  • jkl.asc
    886 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
"Fact A:
A French audio manufacturer, Lavardin, claimed the discovery of a previously neglected circuit characteristic, which they called "circuit memory". The root of phenomenon was, according to them, signal-induced thermal drifts in transistors. They developed an amplifier which supposedly eliminated this phenomenon.

Fact B:
Said amplifier got reviews to die for. Audio critics got hysterical. JM Lab uses it to power their Utopia line of loudspeaker in demos. However, the manufacturer in question being French, having limited production capacity, and expensive prices (although no so by audio standards), the scandal somehow faded as few people (not including me) could test listen the amplifier. Lavardin, however, seems to be doing good business.

Fact C:
When there's smoke there's fire.

What Now ?"

Try and find some real facts. He uses extreme examples to make his point ( 1 and 10hz signals ) how much effect is actually audible we don't know. And if you believe the reviews in audio rags I have some snake oil for sale.

My conclusion comes from reading the claims about "memory distortion".

I see two lines, one based on fake science about electrons, solid state physics which is a joke, another one based on thermal effects in transistors which cannot result in any significant audible effect in a decently designed amplifier. All of this is embeded in mumbo jumbo, with all known signs of fakery.

Crap, defenitely. A sucker is born every minute.

My conclusion comes from reading the claims about "memory distortion".

I see two lines, one based on fake science about electrons, solid state physics which is a joke, another one based on thermal effects in transistors which cannot result in any significant audible effect in a decently designed amplifier. All of this is embeded in mumbo jumbo, with all known signs of fakery.
Crap, defenitely.

Then your statement comes from personal opinion.
I imagine you read the article by Hephaïstos in your (I think) native language which contained some laboratory experiments (and bibliography) which I am not capable of criticize, but perhaps you can...it would be very edifying for us if you could do a technical analysis of that part of the article.

La distorsion thermique (Héphaïtos)

A scientist must experiment.
An opinologist is forced to opine...

...which cannot result in any significant audible effect in a decently designed amplifier.

Yet this statement is VERY easily demostrated or rejected...

A sucker is born every minute.

Apparently, Mr Hephaïstos died tragically years ago...Your comment is not very delicate...

Peace.
M.

Assuming you addressed me? Thermal distortion comes from slow heating of the device which changes the parameters. Cascode keeps the device voltage wrt ground constant but not the device Vce, and not the Ic. The graph I posted showed that there actually is a reverse effect.
A bootstrap keeps the Vce constant and that appears to work much better, as shown.

The transistor doesn't know whether we call something 'Vas' or 'pupukaka' so that makes no difference ;-)

Jan

Hello

Could you suggest a practical circuit of a bootstrap cascode input ?

Maby something like the circuit in my image, does this circuit would have less memory distortions ?

Thank you

Bye

Gaetan

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Hello

To everyone, for bootstrap cascode input, maby something like the circuit in my image, does this circuit would have less memory distortions ?

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Dear Gaetan8888,

I kindly invite you to join the conversation on the thread https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/sol...mplifier-gentleman-memory-21.html#post5700991

We are finalizing a functional amp with different options for input section experimentation: for anyone interested in real life experimentation, that is.

The following sections of the amp must also be addressed to enjoy the potentials of the putative LTMD strategy.

Cheers,
M.

Dear Gaetan8888,

I kindly invite you to join the conversation on the thread https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/sol...mplifier-gentleman-memory-21.html#post5700991

We are finalizing a functional amp with different options for input section experimentation: for anyone interested in real life experimentation, that is.

The following sections of the amp must also be addressed to enjoy the potentials of the putative LTMD strategy.

Cheers,
M.

Hello

I will join the conversation on the thread, I've seen your amp, it's a bit more complex that I like to do.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Joined 2010
Paid Member
.........As an aside, I've never found there to be any difference in their distortion behaviour when simulated in Spice where I've employed them as error amplifiers in a feedback amplifier. Perhaps their behaviours at large signal swings is where the differences show up - the LTP performs poorly with large signal swings, so I use it when I have high feedback factors and the LTP experiences a relatively small differential signal.

The dc-offset / thermal issues do not recommend the Rush, which is why I've never used it myself over the Singleton. I've found my better sounding projects to have used a Singleton input over an LTP......
Mr Evil did some comparative measurements as well as simulations of Rush and LTP input stages several years ago. The spectra affirm most comments already made in the thread so I leave it to others to draw their conclusions about this topology: Mr Evil's Realm - Rush Cascode Input Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.