What is the best amplifier project...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
REPRINT FROM "Taunton's Fine Woodworking" MAGAZINE OCTOBER 1997 NO. 126

Making Music With A Plane by James Krenov

"My first suggestion would be to ask yourself, 'Am I doing this out of curiosity or do I believe in it? Do I intend to arrive at a point where this becomes a thing for me, and I know that I can make a good wooden plane anytime I want to and can do fine things with it?' If it's mere curiosity, then it becomes just like anything else we do for the sake of exercise. Just so we can prove we can go through the ABC's of it.
I think its important not to fail completely with the first plane, because then you might not make a second one. You could be missing things. Do try to get the essentials right on the firs one, and get it to where, yes, it does work, and yes, I can make a better one, and yes, I will make a better one."

Just some thoughts, I have made a few amps, I could never claim that one project was the best one.

Milo

PS I apologize for the copyright infringement. On a side note this magazine is one of the best woodworking magazines I have ever seen, few advertisements, 1/3 articles, 1/3 instructions, 1/3 reviews.

Yes, i can...but cannot be good to you

It depends of your years, your personallity, your head and your actual feelings.
Also depends your house, if carpet or not.... depends of the speaker quality.... a lot of things
I am trying to find the one, and i found a lot of ones, till the day i find a new one better than the last one.
Now i am returning to past, not doing hi technology modern amplifiers, they sound more than awfull to me.
They put me nervous, i adjust all the time and never satisfied.
Now a days i like this old Sony schematic, model from seventies and easy to assemble, but this is a personal taste, you probable will not find so many people that thinks and feel like me.... we are all different on each others, there's not absolutely rigth and wrong.
I could read that JLH, class A amplifiers, models from 1969 to some modern update ones are the best. I assemble the first model and compare with new models and no chance for the new ones... JLH was clearly better than all i heard.

Also amplifiers from ESP, Mr Rodd Elliot home pages are very good to, and sounds a little better than my old Sony TA-F30, but, i prefer my old machine defective thunder bass!

If you read all forum, you will see that Mr Nelson Pass is doing wonderfull things with fet.

If you will assemble some... do the JLH.... low power, hi heat, big and heavy, a little bit crazy to lost so many energy transformed in heat....but this put the components to work the better they can.

If you wan't to buy some noise machine, the way i called the new home theaters. I think a good idea is Sony... everyone you find will satisfied many people.

Am i confused?, yes, i am!, constructing amplifiers for more than 43 year and not already decided the perfect one..... the one that is near perfection is the JLH (John Lindsley (or Linsley) Hood), and it can also help to keep Coffee in good temperature, also to maintain heat in your room... really hot!, in temperature.

Carlos

Danyele82 said:
Can you post the best (for you) DIY solid stat amplifier project?

Whichever one I am currently working on....

My first amp was a Heathkit AA-14, built long ago. It used a germanium PNP output with NPN silicon, because there were no inexpensive good PNPs yet. I loved it for a while, all 15 watts. Well, it was tiny and cheap at the time, and had no bloody tubes!

Then began a long series of romances with different amps, from early JBLs to McIntoshes to Dynacos. It always seemed that the one I was working on was the most interesting, and once it was done the thrill was gone....

I suppose that's what keeps this interesting. I hope I never do have a perfect amp, because the game would be over.

Danyele82 said:
Can you post the best (for you) DIY solid stat amplifier project?

Hi !

At first, you need to know what kind of Amplifier you are looking for,
a hi power, low power, ClassA, ClassAB, simple/complex design...
There are so many different circuits for different needs, so there
is no "best" project for me.
Of course, my latest design is always best ! ;)
For ultimative quality, of course it should be some ClassA low power,
for hi power needs you should consider a ClassAB...

My last design was a simple ClassAB-Mosfet, using a total of 9
transistors, giving ~36Watt RMS into 4 ohms.

Mike

Im sorry, I realize that my post was likely more annoying then helpful.

What I meant was that if this is your first amp, and I'm not sure that it is, then you should just build one any of them will do, chip, SSD, tubes, whatever, because all you need to do is get the first one to work and you'll already be onto another one. Just the act of building your first amp pushes you 10 fold past the knowledge that you had beforehand. That way the next amp you'll be more sure of, spend more time / $ on, and get a great product.

However if you just want to build one great amp, and start out with a proven design that will work for you forever you have to rethink why you want to do this, because in the long run its really not that much cheaper, no matter what we might try to make you believe.

If you are already into this DIY thing and your not going back, and you just wanted opinions on peoples favorite amps then Im sorry, I spoke out of line. You should check the last few pages of "This is not just another gainclone" because it has become a discussion of the top five amps that people have built.

Milo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.