No. of parallel BJT? Rule of thumb?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I was looking at a desing a while back (still in progress, but going slowly) kind of like a beefed up P3A from ESP, I was looking at two pairs of MJL4281a / MJL4302a to output around 250W into a four ohm load. However, I think this is about right on the edg of what I would like to put through them before I would be woried about them going bang, and if I wanted more curent out, I think I would definately add another pair. So, in this case, for these particular devices, I would state a heathly maximum of about 4A per device as my limit.

It sounds like I've tended to be more conservative than needed. Partly, this may be influenced by an "ultimate project" I've had in mind for bi-amping a pair of Magnepans which are both low inpredance and low sensativity. My projects to this point had been aimed at getting experience to use in that project. So far I've tended to use one pair per each 75W of nominal output at 8 ohms. I've been able to do this with a 70 degC thermal switch on the device that has yet to trip in normal use. It would appear that I'm running thing cooler than is really necessary. However, I have in mind the beta-droop issue with low impedance loads so I've additional motivations for using more devices than necessary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.