Rolls SL33b Modification Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just for fun, I was thinking of going through my Rolls SL33b stereo program limiter and replacing a handful of components.
So far, I was going to:
1. Switch the op-amps over to NE5532s
2. Replace all audio section electrolytics with ones that are rated for audio applications.
3. Replace 120pF caps with cornell dubilier silver mica caps.

Does anybody have any experience with these units, and would anybody have any other suggestions?
Its a pretty simple box, and I'm open to any ideas.
The threshold control could use some improvement (doesn't feel very linear). But I'm not sure on how to approach this.

Here is the schematic:
http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_SL33.pdf

Again, this is just for fun, And I'm not expecting to get any extreme improvements in performance.
Thanks.

You are adding boutique parts to a device that limits and compresses the audio stream.

Sorry I am confused.

Correct, the Rolls SL33b is a compressor/limiter...
Why not? Are there not "boutique" compressors and limiters out on the market that are full of "boutique" components?
It would be about $10 dollars in parts to add, and would be interesting to hear if there are any improvements.
If you are confused, I think you might be missing the point.
However, if you are trying to make a point that this may be a pointless endeavor, just say so.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You are adding boutique parts to a device that limits and compresses the audio stream. Sorry I am confused.

ALL your commercial recordings have been through limiters.

We may as well do them well.

There are several stand-out "Classics". None in the $63 range.

At $175 the RNC from FMR Audio seems to be well thought out and well thought of.

The Rolls..... Rolls has a very clever MINIMUM-parts designer. The topology limits the gain reduction (though maybe not much), and the sidechain is sketchy. Actual response depends a lot on the opto-Resistors, which are no longer available in the high-quality sorts of 1959.

The NJM4560 opamp is an *excellent* audio tool. Most of the e-caps are amply big. The 120pFd are surely NP0 ceramic and as near-perfect as can be. OK, "upgrade them" if it pleases you. Knowing you "got the good stuff" may make you play better. Not "lipstick on a pig", but maybe a better shampoo on a dog.

There are better limiters out there, both store-bought and DIY.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.