Mono Amp Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am searching for a monophonic (one single channel) audio amplifier.
It can be already built (a true rarity - I haven't found any) or even a kit.
I do NOT want a 12 volt DC car amplifier. There's lots of those around.
I need an amp I can plug into a 120 volt AC outlet.
Also, I don't want a subwoofer amp or any form of class D unit.
I'm looking for a class A?B circuit that provides around 100 watts into an 8 ohm load.
I searched for one of those recent Marantz mono power amps but had no luck.
Very low distortion and clean sound is a must.
As always with my projects, cost is a significant issue.
It has to affordable.
Any help or advise you good folks can supply will be very helpful.
Sincerely, the HamRadioMan.

I would suggest a used Marantz MA500 mono block power amp. Plenty of power and sounds good too. Generally one can find a used MA500 on Ebray for a small sum of money.

Be prepared to do a little work. Some of these amp will suffer from low gain and there is a thread in which I mention which caps to change in order to bring the amp back to normal output.

Years ago I had 5 of them in my home theatre system and they worked very well.

Thanks for your input. That really is a neat amp. I'll have to look up your thread.
I had given up trying to find one these things but I checked ebay dot ca after I posted the query and surprisingly, a local guy has three of them listed there. I sent him a message and I'll be picking them up tomorrow. The price was right too!
I guess you'd call this a happy ending.
All the best.

I have some old Allen mono 100 watt amps
Email if you would like more info
carlthess@yahoo.com
IMG_3299.JPG

Thanks for your input. That really is a neat amp. I'll have to look up your thread.
I had given up trying to find one these things but I checked ebay dot ca after I posted the query and surprisingly, a local guy has three of them listed there. I sent him a message and I'll be picking them up tomorrow. The price was right too!
I guess you'd call this a happy ending.
All the best.

I have a copy of the service manual if you happen to need one. The place I retired from used to sell Marantz and I did the repair work. Never had one MA500 blow up but a lot of them did suffer from low gain in which I fixed.

Thank you sir for your offer of the manual. I downloaded a copy from manuals.lib. It's quite readable. I'll take it to a print shop and get a copy printed. I hate staring at a confuser screen when I'm trying to work on a component. Give me paper every time. Right now I'm in the process of cutting all the pieces for my new speaker box.

BTW, I picked up the three MA500s this morning. They seem to be in pretty decent shape. The boxes, packaging and user manuals were included. The former owner said he had one of them re-caped but he didn't remember which one. I'll pull all of them apart and check them out, just to be safe.
All the best.
R.

If you can send a hard copy by post I will pay the postage. Just tell how much it will cost. Please do not send me a scanned copy via the 'net - my connection is partly fubared. It takes for ever to download an email with an attachment. Don't know why this is but it's been like this since we moved here and got this provider.

You can PM me for the information.

I can't wait to get into the new house! Different town, different provider. Hopefully, BETTER.

Post #10 is the owners manual and not the service manual. If you still need the service manual send me a PM and I will get a copy out via the post to your address. If you don't wish to go that route I will be glad to send the copy to a moderator and possibly they could either put it up so others could access it or they could send it out to you.

I am NOT a scammer so your address and name are safe with me. At any rate the offer is out there.

Okay. I give up!!!
Does anybody here know how to get the cover off of the Marantz MA500 amplifier????
I took out all the screws I could find that looked like they were connected with the cover and no go.
I don't want to force it off because it seems kinda thin and cheezy and I don't want to wreck it.
Any ideas?
Anybody????

Help...…

Follow-up
The cover on mine appears to be held on with some sort adhesive or tape of some sort.
I can't get to it to release the sides of the cover.
No matter how I try, it looks like I will have to wreck the cover taking it off.
I am NOT impressed.
I had hoped for better from a company like Marantz.
What crap!!!!!

Follow-up 2.
I got the cover off.
They put some double sided sticky foam rubber on the power transformer.
I guess it is intended to minimize cover vibration.
What ever, it makes removing the cover a PITA!!!!!
You need a dull edged putty knife to get in there and release the glue.
My previous statement stands...….
What a pile of crap!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi hamradioman,
I can vouch for Burnedfingers for one. I also do service on Marantz products. While equipment that was sold when Philips owned Marantz is junk, anthing before or after that has been very good quality.

Consider the possibility that the tape was replaced. What I've seen is not attached to the top cover and I have repaired a number of these over the years. Just pay attention to the manual and make sure you understand it before doing any work on it.

-Chris

Well, hello fine gentlemen. It's been about 2 weeks since I last posted here. I finally managed to the covers off all three MA500s and lo-and-behold, every one of 'em has bulging caps all over the place. Good thing I never tried to power them up! Previous owner said he had ONE recapped. Well, he musta kept that one. Now I think about it, he did keep two. I am now waiting for parts from a "Large Reputable Supplier". In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out a way to bypass all useless junk circuitry in there I'll never use, like the remote power up / down and such. I only need two so if I bugger up the first one, no problem. Learn and Live.
I will endeavor to keep all you good folks up to date on this restoration.
Highest regards.
Rick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.