Mono Amp Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
UN-RELATED POST---
Does anyone here remember a company call S.A.E. ???
I picked up what I believe to be their "baby" preamp, the Mk 30. Price was right - free. It uses slider pots for the bass, treble, balance and volume controls. Three of them sound okay - no noises when using them but the volume slider is toast. So, I need to replace it. I was digging thru my various boxes of stuff and I found a really neat kit I bought some time ago. It's a tiny circuit board with an IR receiver and all the circuitry needed to control a motorized volume pot. Now the crux of the matter - has anyone here ever heard of a motorized SLIDER pot??? I know they use them on big mixing and computerized broadcast consoles. But what about a single compatible slider I can backwards engineer to work in my S.A.E. preamp?
Any thoughts?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi hamradioman,
The motorized sliders were only used in the large recording consoles. They are too long for one, and way too expensive for two.

Try crushing a Q-Tip and soaking the tip in contact cleaner. Look through the slot and identify the two metallic strips that run down for the wiper. Without getting this stuff on the sides or the carbon, clean the metallic strips. That should solve your problem and retain the feel of the control.

I've worked on many SAE products over the years. Nice score on the preamp. Treat it well and look after it. If you do that, it will last you many years.

When you see bulging capacitor tops, the capacitor may be perfectly fine. Push down on the bulge and see if it goes down to a solid flat surface underneath. If it feels solid, that cap is gone, but if it will collapse down to a flat surface the capacitor is just fine.

-Chris

Yes sir, I tried that. Also, there is some sort dried up goo that seems to have leaked out of the power supply caps and it's not glue. They are definitely shot. No matter, I have one amp completely dismantled (what a PITA that job was) and the old caps removed. Just waiting for parts now. I ordered enough for all three amps.

After I posted the slider pot message I went online and did some searching. Seems a company called "Bourns" or some such makes these motorized sliders. They have two lengths - 60mm and 100mm. Don't know what is in the Mk 30 but I'll get the PCB at the front of the preamp out and take some measurements soon as I finish the MA500s.
One thing at a time.

I like that line on the bottom of your posts. Very true ;-)
R.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...has anyone here ever heard of a motorized SLIDER pot???...

Of course.

DigiKey.com
Product Index > Potentiometers, Variable Resistors > Slide Potentiometers
"Fader Type": Motor, Motor Dual
Results: 17

Yes, a lot of Bourns, but also a Panasonic (apparently obsolete, not orderable).

They are significantly larger than a hand-pot; get the detail dimensions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.