Parasound 806a overload protection...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I bought a really nice used 806 a amp on eBay a couple of years ago in an auction at a REALLY GOOD price!!! I got the thing home and as soon as you gave it any volume it would cut out. I got online looked it up found out it was a common problem with the relays...I got new relays and fix it myself! N problem with that ever since.

But the amp had a notable hum...it has gain controls that I was able to "control" the hum by turning down the gains. This amp is 6 channels with 4 being bridgeable.

Finally I got sick of the hum, did some more research and found a guy on an oil changing forum of all places, that has the same or very similar amp and he had the same problem and replaced the power supply caps. Which I just did. Before all channels hummed...now the left channel has an almost inaudible hum which I think is caused by the resistor on the gain control circuit, because the speaker on that channel makes static noises when I adjust the gain, and and a certain point like at 9 o'clock of full volume it's almost inaudible. In any case I can live with that.

What i cannot live with is the overload protection on the right channel keeps cutting off that channel...and I thought it was because it was getting hot, but after the repair and listening for less than five minutes at a certain volume it shuts off and the heat sinks are not even warm...which they were really HOT before replacing the caps! Even when the amp was idle they would be hot.

Now I noticed there is almost NO HEAT on the heat sinks, but it sounds noticeably better!

I know this is really a shot in the dark without testing and what not and maybe I'll take it to get it fixed...but I am SO CLOSE to having it right!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.