leach amp inductor smoking - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Bosium is offline Bosium  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default leach amp inductor smoking

hi there

I've just completed a dual mono leach amp, 750VA trans with separate bridge and 10000uf caps per channel. It sounds fantastic. I've been building it for ages and it seems tip top, BUT...

I was testing one channel with a 1khz sine wave input on a 8ohm dummy load and the resistor with the inductor wound around it started to smoke.

I removed power immediately, amp still 'works' and no fuses blew. What's up with that? I'm certain that I've assembled it correctly, both channels are biased at about 110ma and play audio perfectly into both 4 or 8 ohm loads.

Any help would be appreciated.
Gareth
Old 19th April 2004, 12:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It could be indicative of oscillation, as little current should flow through the resistor except at very high frequency. OTOH, what gauge wire did you use for the inductor- it should be pretty healthy, like AWG14. or better.
Old 20th April 2004, 12:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The resistor is what value (ohms, watts)? You need a 1 ohm 5-10 watter here. A more likely candidate to smoke is the Zobel net resistor, but at higher frequencies than 1 kHz. I suspect this inductor is not needed anyway, but people always seem to put them in.
Old 20th April 2004, 03:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I suspect this inductor is not needed anyway, but people always seem to put them in.
For many/most bipolar output stages, even the classic EF triple T circuit (much less a CFP output stage!) both an RC zobel and a series parallel RL network are necessary to assure stability with reactive loads, inductive and capacitive.

There are ways around it, but I'm not telling....

The inductor does introduce frequency dependent load sensitivity, unfortunately- it often does have some kind of impact on HF sonics, depending on the speaker load. I wouldn't recommend removing the RL network from a standard Leach amp, unless you're just using it for subwoofer duties, for example.

The resistor in parllel is for damping the network; the inductor value will typically be in the range of 2-4 uH.

If you have a scope, you can determine the real problem pretty quickly.

It's brave souls who build and test amplifiers without a scope..

Best regards,

Jon
Old 20th April 2004, 04:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JonMarsh

For many/most bipolar output stages, even the classic EF triple T circuit (much less a CFP output stage!) both an RC zobel and a series parallel RL network are necessary to assure stability with reactive loads, inductive and capacitive.

Jon
I am familiar with all the arguements for using the damped inductor to buffer capacitive loads. Most of the expert opinion says it is de riguer, with one notable exception (Pass). I realize suggesting it it not necessary is heretical.

The Leach amp uses feedforward compensation, from driver to inverting input. Furthermore, it has a low-pass filter on the output feedback, which makes it even more immune to hf instability with capacitive loads. In my experience with similar amps, if properly applied those two techniques keep an amp stable into capacitive loads.

Nelson Pass pointed out that the inductor degrades the damping factor at higher frequencies, and so in fact can impact tweeter damping. In light of that, I'd at least experiment with leaving it out.
Old 20th April 2004, 05:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

One thing you might want to consider - if the Zobel inductor is the standard type with wire wound around a resistor, make sure it's sonnected well at both ends. Otherwise, you are pumping all the power through the resistor and it will smoke....
Old 20th April 2004, 07:37 AM   #7
Bosium is offline Bosium  South Africa
diyAudio Member

thanks for the replies, wrenchone i think you have the answer, my inductor isn't well attached, i'll try that.

G
Old 20th April 2004, 08:41 AM   #8
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

The inductor you have wound, what wire area did it have? Could it take the current?
Old 20th April 2004, 07:21 PM   #9
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
The thing here is that all the power should go through the inductor which should be quite large to avoid troubles. You may even solder the resistor underneath the PCB, it only provides oscillation dampening for the coil.

Bullet-proof sized inductor compared to the white 5W resistors:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inductor.jpg (28.4 KB, 314 views)
Old 20th April 2004, 09:14 PM   #10
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I have made an inductor of 1.5 mm Cu wire, 5 mohms = much current before it glows.
Picture here

Hide this!Advertise here!