leach amp inductor smoking - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2004, 10:18 PM   #11
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
As always, nice work

I always wanted to ask if you have a more detailed description on the wire connectors used - eg mm for wire diameter, cost, a link for an online shop where one can buy them. I hate those screw-type ones, they cause lots problems if you use them 'frequently'.
Old 20th April 2004, 11:51 PM   #12
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lucpes
As always, nice work

I always wanted to ask if you have a more detailed description on the wire connectors used - eg mm for wire diameter, cost, a link for an online shop where one can buy them. I hate those screw-type ones, they cause lots problems if you use them 'frequently'.
The connectors (in my picture) is Wago, german Spitzenklasse connectors but since the patent expired all the other big elephants in the connector business have got similar products but nothing is like the original.

www.wago.com

Did you know, Wago changes the sound to a more unconstipated sound. In fact Wago does more for the sound than Black Gate caps. The reason for this is the sharp spring which makes the sound very tight, in fact air tight ..... no.... but they are good. So good that they are used on ships, trains and also burried in the railways (tough enviroment and heavy vibrations).
Old 21st April 2004, 12:10 AM   #13
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

Did you know, Wago changes the sound to a more unconstipated sound. In fact Wago does more for the sound than Black Gate caps. The reason for this is the sharp spring which makes the sound very tight, in fact air tight
Thanks, these might free my amps from soldering power rails directly to PCB ... Now... errr... where to buy less than 420 connectors?
Old 21st April 2004, 02:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Leach amp uses feedforward compensation, from driver to inverting input. Furthermore, it has a low-pass filter on the output feedback, which makes it even more immune to hf instability with capacitive loads. In my experience with similar amps, if properly applied those two techniques keep an amp stable into capacitive loads.

Both the loop topology, the output stage configuration, and the actual wiring/layout dress seem to influence the stability- including factors of loop or local oscillation. For a Leach circuit the "safe"way to go without "qualifying" it under specific load conditions for the actual unit construction is to retain the inductor.

That said, I haven't built an amp requiring an output inductor in over ten years; I agree with you that the effect is deletrious to the output impedance and creates opportunities for audible interaction with speaker loads, and in general seems to reduce HF resolution. In many cases, better safe than sorry, though.

Best regards,

Jon

Hide this!Advertise here!