Marantz PM40SE Left Channel Blown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I have a Marantz PM40SE repair as a project.

Tested with a DBT. The relay does not click on obviously!.
Right channel bias reads 5mv but left channel reads 35volts (approx).

Q763 - 2SA1265N and Q751- 2SD1508 have blown on the left.

Q761- 2SC3182N on the left is ok

General resistors look ok.

Q759 on left was getting hot even with DBT but tested OK.

Please can you give me modern equivalents for Q763 and Q761 (change in pairs if needed) and Q751. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would do some voltage tests first against the values shown on the schematic (available on Hifi Engine), for both channels.

If you have a failed output transistor and the bias device also failed, I would be suspecting the driver and predriver transistors in that channel too

"Q759 on left was getting hot even with DBT but tested OK."

Can driver / pre drivers get hot if amp run with power transistors removed?

Removed and tested transistors on blown channel. All power / driver / pre driver transistors OK except for previously blown ones. All fusible resistors OK.

Amp relay powers on with blown transistors removed. Right channel good with speaker DC at 16mv.

Marantz PM-66SE KI - bin or repair?

Using above thread as well as pm66se is similar to pm40se.

Last edited:
Almost Fixed

Following the PM66 thread above. I changed the main output transistors and the single driver transistor on the heat sink for the blown left channel. Used new backing pads.

Powers up using DBT and relay clicks on. DC on both channels at speaker terminals is around 15mv.

BUT

Bias on repaired channel is 0.5v and cannot get it down by much using the bias adjust. The large white bias resistor is open although it was OK when I tested it before. I swapped it with the good one on the other side and I could adjust bias within normal parameters.

Ordered replacement resistors as per PM66 thread and transistors for the other channel. Did not want to waste cash buying transistors if I could not get it working.

R763 no longer smoking and still around 305 ohms but ordered replacements (330ohms)

Tested with headphones briefly and sound on both channels.

Hopefully this should work. We shall see!

Last edited:
OK fitted replacement resistors (linked 2 resistors together for bias adjust) and all working. DC around 15mv at speaker terminals.

There was a slight drop in sound for a few seconds on the repaired channel but seems ok now - could have been a loose phono plug.

Will repalce main transistors and drivers on other channel as well when I have time. Will also recheck soldering and look for cold joints.

Do I have to replace power transistors on "good" Channel?

Repaired blown channel but..... do I have to replace power transistors on "good" Channel? I have the replacements but can't be bothered to change them right now. Am I ok running it for now?

The amp sounds fine and no difference between the channels but the repaired channel gets slightly warmer probably because it has larger replacement transistors. Each pair of transistors has its own heat sink. The amp seems to run pretty cool anyway.

Just curious.

Hi ssi,
from technical aspect, i wouldn't change the working channel.

From the sonic aspect i would do the same changes in the working channel, there are sonic differences, if you not use the same semiconductors from the same supplier. Actual examples, the original Hitachi/Renesas PowerMosfet 2SK1058/2SJ162 and the equivalent Parts from Exicon. Another example from past was the NE5534 from Philips compared with the same from Signetics.

But keep in mind "Never change a running system"

BR
Günni

Volume pots and loudness - curious?

Driving a pair of not very sensitive "test" Wharfedale Diamond II's from 1987with volume control running at 1/3 vol in the garage:

Marantz P40SE- 50wpc : not very loud
Technics SUV4x- 65wpc: very loud
Rotel 921 / 931- 25 & 30wpc: quite loud
Sony TA2650- 43wpc: very loud.

Why the differences? Is it the way the volume gain is set up?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Matching replaced parts in left vs right has little scientific validity, only the satisfaction of knowing they are the same.

For the volume control question you could try setting each amp at a third volume, disconnect the speakers and then measure the output voltage of the amp. Use a 400Hz to 1kHz test tone. I'm sure you will find a big difference in apparent output levels.

I bought a PM40SE in supposedly working condition, however, after a full recap I discovered it had an intermittent fault. The right channel sometimes failed to come on from a cold start up. After a few seconds it would wake up and be fine thereafter.

Having done a general check around for obvious failed components to no avail, I replaced the four main power transistors. When this proved to be fruitless I moved on the the two Darlington D1508 transistors. Following advice on the thread I tried a pair of BD679, however, the dim bulb test showed an issue immediately.

I put the originals back in and lo and behold, the problem now appeared on the left. I could claim I'd put them back the other way around on purpose, but it was just a fluke, but either way it was proof I was on the right track! I bought two original replacement 2SD1508 from a UK supplier, at something of a premium.

To complete the job I followed the procedure in the service manual and set the bias voltage to 14mV each side and checked the DC offset at the speaker posts was okay. It came in at 10mV and 11mV for the two channels, so very happy.

On testing, it's clear that neither transistor was working to its full spec. The sound is much better. More authority, better bass definition, very sweet and open midrange. Overall an excellent result. With its new DNM and Elna Silmic II caps it's better than when it came from the factory. I think it's new owner is going to be delighted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.