Dead Channel on Parasound P5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I fired up the stereo this morning, and no sound emerged from the right speaker. I would say the fault is with my Parasound P5 pre-amp.

- Crossing cables at pre-out moved the fault to left channel.
- Same symptoms regardless of using unbalanced cables or XLR
- Same symptoms regardless of source. Tested using internal DAC (coax), unbalanced and XLR balanced inputs.

Has anyone here experienced the same on their P5, any ideas where I can find schematics and/or where to start troubleshooting / repair?

On a side note. I have been using this pre with an Emotiva XPA-2 for about 3 years without any issues. I upgraded the PA to (a secondhand) Parasound A21 just 5 days ago. Both using the balanced output. Can't see how this could be the cause of anything, but still cant help wondering....

Addition info: The "dead channel" is not completely dead, It has some very small amount of high frequency signal.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Not the same exact problem, but on the P-5 that I own, the left and right outputs are reversed. Also, the volume control knob is constantly loose, and make terrible NOISE when raising or, lowering the volume, but ONLY when music is playing. It's not the same as the old noisy pot, per say, it's the function of the motor control bleeding into the system. Good luck with calling Parasound-- they very rarely answer the phone.

I left the amp of for 15 minutes, lifted it 1/2" of the table and let it fall down with a gentle thump. Now both channels are Ok again, so my guess is some sticky relay. anyone know if it has a relay on the outputs.
Also if it uses a mechanical relay, what type is it. I better get a couple of spares while the amp is still working.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.