i want to build stuff , but i'm kind of scared - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2002, 07:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to travis
Default i want to build stuff , but i'm kind of scared

and i lack a few bits of essential knowledge. stuff like buying and hooking up input/output transformers is intimidating. wiring jacks was confusing last time i tried it. i want to build a poweramp, man. maybe a passive preamp to go along with it. actually, i have this roland rq 200. it has six preamps. can i use that?
Old 23rd April 2002, 12:48 PM   #2
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The best way to get your feet wet in DIY is probably to build a small headphone amp. See the projects at www.headwize.com, in particular the "Cmoy pocket amp". There is a step-by-step assembly guide available, and plenty of help from others to get your amp up and running.
Old 23rd April 2002, 07:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Then when it's time to get started in power amps, you should read some books on it, like Randy Slone's High Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual and Douglas Self's Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook . These books don't really cover the basics, though. They go into more detail about amplifier design.
Old 23rd April 2002, 08:19 PM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Lots of good designs out there

I recommend one very good design and also very good article. Mark Alexanders patented "The Alexander current feedback amplifier".

http://www.analog.com/library/applic...udio/AN211.pdf
Old 23rd April 2002, 08:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is the website that got my going:

www.sound.au.com

It has all the info to get started; look for it in the 'articles' section.

nice reading really!

gr,
Thijs
Old 24th April 2002, 04:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I'd also have to say that site got me where I am now to.
Old 24th April 2002, 06:28 AM   #7
FBJ is offline FBJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Good of you to join us Travis.
Let me add my two cents. First of all you sure understand exactly what you want. Do you want to be like a HPotter or HarryHaller on this forum or maybe jump in and then jump out by building a kit whether amp, preamp, or speakers.
To build equipment like HPotter or HarryHaller it will take years of training and money. But if you started with a complete or semi-complete kit things are much easier. Cause theirs really nothing like it when you putting a project togehter and you turn it on for the first time and it works. This will give you a feeling of sucess and you maybe will try a project a little more complex. Go to to the ASKA site and read Hugh design ideas or the ESP site or something a lot more complex (I think) Douglas Self or more simple (I think) The One and Only, Nelson Pass web site. Designers like it when you read their ideas and like it even more when you buy something of theirs.
Since Hugh and Nelson Pass cruise this forum all the time, I am should you could get exact instructions on how to accomplish your goals what ever they may be. Plus audioxpress can supply you will almost all Nelson Pass PCBs. And I love stuffing PCBs with silk screen cause I can jam to music and don't have to think too much only about getting the right part in the right hole and properly installed.
Old 26th April 2002, 06:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm going to get super electronic-smart. I'm already in the first EE class at the local community college. The first thing I need to build is a poweramp for my drum machine or computer. Wait, the first thing I need to do is wire my guitar back together because I unsoldered everthing without taking any notes on how it was setup before. I glued a bunch of foil to the inside. I need to go to radio shack to buy a new pot for the volume. I'm going to use that 'better volume control' i on the esp site that everyone here has been linking too. i was thinking a slider would be cooler to use than a rotating pot. I'm not putting the tone pot back on. I can't find a schematic for the big humbucker i put in the bridge position a while ago. it has like 5 wires coming out of it, but only the red one makes music come out, so i'm kind of reluctant to solder it back to the toggle switch without understanding it perfectly exactly. all this guitar stuff is off topic, isn't it? what's a good way to ground the inside of my guitar? i was thinking i'll just screw a screw in somewhere covenient and connect all the black wires to it.
Old 26th April 2002, 06:22 AM   #9
FBJ is offline FBJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Well don't forget to live. Cause you might end up like me, 45 years old, single, and living alone, have worked boring low tech electronics jobs for many years but making good money at it and spending it all on audio.
But maybe you could persuade some of your friends to join you in some DIY projects so high end audio can grow even more.
One of my friends brought a portable MP3 player and I won't let him in my house with it.
Old 26th April 2002, 06:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FBJ
Well don't forget to live. Cause you might end up like me, 45 years old, single, and living alone, have worked boring low tech electronics jobs for many years but making good money at it and spending it all on audio.
sounds fine to me

Hide this!Advertise here!