Lateral Mosfet for power amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Solid State forum memebers! Are Lateral Mosfets going away or is there simply more demand than there seems to be supply? Most of the ones I look up seem to be obsolete or out of stock on at least one part for a complementary pair. The 2SK1058 and 2SJ162 seem to be obsoleted some time ago and others like ECX10N20 and ECX10P20 are out of stock on one or both parts. If anyone knows of other Lateral mosfets that are available as new parts I would appreciate it if they would share the part numbers of them. I am particularly interested in finding some that have ltspice models available for them. Thanks!

Mickeystan

Hello Mickeystan,

I believe last year is when I had some J162s in my cart at Avnet, they deleted them, then sometime later I had some K1058s in my cart at Arrow and they deleted them. This is coming from Renesas, only selling to certain distributors they had a relationship with and those selling to certain customers only. Looks like Renesas doesn't care about laterals anymore. It sucks.

Later,
Mad

Scottjoplin and MadInventor, thanks for the feedback. It seems to me too that the production of these parts are coming to an end without newer generation parts being introduced to take their place. I was hoping to have some fun with building an amplifier I had modeled based upon (2SK1058 and 2SJ162) ouput lateral mosfets. Unfortunately, a couple of other enhancement mode mosfet I have modeled in their place do not perform as well. If nothing better turns up, I will either scrap the plan to build the amplifier or settle for a reduction in anticipated performance. Mickeystan

MadInventor, I did buy a pair of lateral mosfets from ebay (2SK1058 and 2SJ162). Unfortunately, they did not work in a test circuit. I think now they are likely counterfiet. I have also read a lot of complaints since about counterfiet parts coming from ebay vendors. Thus, I am a leary of trying this source again. Mickeystan

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have been replying to this same query about poor lateral Mosfet availability for years now. Profusion PLC in the UK stock their own Exicon brand. It's similar spec. (also with several variations on the package theme) as Renesas product. I think you can expect the N versions to return to stock again since they are listed as active. Lateral MOSFETs | Profusion

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
In the US, these guys usually have the goods and apparently the Renesas parts are in stock now. Supplies from Japan have never been reliable but I read here that the earthquake some years ago knocked out the plant. 'No idea if that's true or not but there are alternatives that probably use the same chips from Renesas because the specs are so similar and the market is limited. Power Mosfets for Audio Amplifiers @ AmpsLab

In the US, these guys usually have the goods and apparently the Renesas parts are in stock now. Supplies from Japan have never been reliable but I read here that the earthquake some years ago knocked out the plant. 'No idea if that's true or not but there are alternatives that probably use the same chips from Renesas because the specs are so similar and the market is limited. Power Mosfets for Audio Amplifiers @ AmpsLab

I have bought Renesas Latfets from ampslab and they are genuine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.