Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Power Amplifier Input Sensitivity
Power Amplifier Input Sensitivity
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2018, 05:32 PM   #1
AlanF00 is offline AlanF00  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Power Amplifier Input Sensitivity

I haven't found any clear statements of audio industry standard input sensitivities for power amplifiers. My survey of various amps turns up various sensitivities, such as 1.35V rms for Douglas Self's gain-of-21 "Blameless power amplifier" (p. 311, "Audio Power Amplifier Design", 6th Ed.) which can produce 100W into 8 ohms.

Does the audio industry have any standards on input sensitivity for maximum power output?

Obviously, if there is one standard, then amplifier gain will depend on it. For example, Self's "Blameless" amplifier has a voltage gain of 21, whereas a 200W design would require a gain of nearly 30 for the 1.35V rms input.

I've found pre-amp output voltages up to 4V rms, which perhaps implies that power amp input sensitivities don't vary all that much from Self's 1.35V number.
Old 21st June 2018, 11:45 PM   #2
THD+N is offline THD+N  United States
diyAudio Member

There is not an audio industry standard. Most amps fall between 1 or 2 volts RMS for input sensitivity. This is dictated by a few design choices, one being noise. High gain will increase noise, so you donít want to set the gain too high.
Old 22nd June 2018, 10:22 PM   #3
AlanF00 is offline AlanF00  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD+N View Post
There is not an audio industry standard. Most amps fall between 1 or 2 volts RMS for input sensitivity. This is dictated by a few design choices, one being noise. High gain will increase noise, so you donít want to set the gain too high.

Thank you.

What tradeoffs do people generally make beyond reducing noise?

I well understand the tradeoff between gain and stability, but assuming that good stability is achievable (i.e., stable loop gain), what other things do people worry about?
Old 24th June 2018, 11:36 AM   #4
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The usual standard is 0db, around 1 volt RMS.
Old 25th June 2018, 01:07 AM   #5
Burnedfingers is offline Burnedfingers  United States
diyAudio Member

Commercial designs can be .7 or even .5 for full output.

Common input levels to obtain full power in "home" equipment generally is anywhere from 1 volt as stated to some amps I've seen that require 2.50 for full output.
Old 25th June 2018, 05:49 PM   #6
bogdan_borko is offline bogdan_borko  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
The usual standard is 0db, around 1 volt RMS.
Yes, but long time ago, before cd players... now it's all over the place, 0.5 to 2 or more volts.
Old 25th June 2018, 05:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan_borko View Post
Yes, but long time ago, before cd players... now it's all over the place, 0.5 to 2 or more volts.
That's why audio mixers go into the red at 0db.
Its an industry standard.
Old 28th June 2018, 07:17 PM   #8
east electronics is offline east electronics  Greece
diyAudio Member

Most preamps of the past or near past amplify between X10 or X20 for now days sources a good balance between juice and noise will be X6
Old 28th June 2018, 08:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by east electronics View Post
Most preamps of the past or near past amplify between X10 or X20 for now days sources a good balance between juice and noise will be X6
I use x5 in my mixer designs for amplifying line level.

For stage use its good to have the mixer show red at 0db or some expensive speakers are going to get fried.
Old 28th June 2018, 08:09 PM   #10
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanF00 View Post
I haven't found any clear statements of audio industry standard input sensitivities for power amplifiers. My survey of various amps turns up various sensitivities, such as 1.35V rms for Douglas Self's gain-of-21 "Blameless power amplifier" (p. 311, "Audio Power Amplifier Design", 6th Ed.) which can produce 100W into 8 ohms.

Does the audio industry have any standards on input sensitivity for maximum power output?

Obviously, if there is one standard, then amplifier gain will depend on it. For example, Self's "Blameless" amplifier has a voltage gain of 21, whereas a 200W design would require a gain of nearly 30 for the 1.35V rms input.

I've found pre-amp output voltages up to 4V rms, which perhaps implies that power amp input sensitivities don't vary all that much from Self's 1.35V number.
I believe that either 0.707Vrms or 1Vrms is the consumer "standard". The problem is that manufacturers do not really hold to it. I have an Adcom amp from the 1990s with an input sensitivity of 1.75Vrms when in bridge mode.

With an analog preamp this was (in the past) never really a problem because most of them could put out 5Vrms or so. These days I have DAC outputs connected directly to amplifiers and I discovered that some of these only have 1Vrms output capability! I now make sure to choose my DAC a little more carefully in terms of its max Vout,rms.

If you reduce the gain of the amplifier and then require a higher voltage to reach the same output power you have also reduced the noise gain. My guess is that this explains upward creep in the input sensitivity.

Power Amplifier Input SensitivityHide this!Advertise here!