Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Wireless remote speaker on/off switch
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2018, 04:23 AM   #1
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wireless remote speaker on/off switch

I need a wireless remote speaker on/off switch (stereo). This $200 item does the job, but has features I'd never use: ATM 7-Zone Speaker Selector with Remote Control

The switch is for auxiliary speakers; the primary speakers are always connected. In effect, I need only a remote controlled DPST switch rated 6A, to open/close one conductor per each speaker.

Could someone design a DIY circuit for my application? The remote requires only one function, open/close (on/off). Could an old laptop SMPS supply the required power?

I realize a receiver or integrated would work, but in this application the same amp must drive both sets of speakers.

Thanks.
Old 15th June 2018, 04:49 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Can you find an X10 module to do this? The appliance modules are just a relay. Maybe you could replace the relay with a DPST type.
Old 15th June 2018, 05:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

I looked on Amazon. Plenty of inexpensive remote controlled switches there. Must under $20.
Old 15th June 2018, 02:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Do you mean this?

Etekcity Remote Control Outlet Wireless Light Switch for Household Appliances, Unlimited Connections, FCC ETL Listed, White (3Rx-1Tx) - Electric Plugs - Amazon.com

I presume the wall appliance employs mains power for the receiver and switch function. Could you please explain better what means, "replace the relay with a DPST?"

Thanks!

Last edited by ro9397; 15th June 2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 15th June 2018, 04:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, that's the sort of thing I first thought of hacking, but there are easier ways.
Have a look at something like this:
Amazon.com: INSMA 433Mhz Wireless RF Switch Long Range DC 12V 4CH Channel Wireless Remote Control Switch, DC12V Relay Receiver Module, Transmitter Toggle Switch RF Relay (2 Transmitter & 1 Receiver): Home Improvement
or this:
ELENKER DC 12v 10A relay 1CH wireless RF Remote Control Switch Transmitter with Receiver - - Amazon.com

As you stated, you need to switch 2 poles, so look for something like that. If you have a common ground, you could switch just the ground, so a STSP would do. Seems to be a lot of those on Amazon.
Old 15th June 2018, 06:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your kind effort!

Wireless remote speaker on/off switchHide this!Advertise here!