boring sound from computer speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm experimenting with my Creative Labs computer speakers.
It consists of two satelites and a small sub. As they are they sound decent. The wall wart supplied with the system consists of a transformer rated at 45VA with a single 12V secondary, 2.9 A. The amp module consists of a chip amp (not sure what type). I'm wondering if I could use a toroid type rated at 100VA 12V secondary at 4.17A. With each satelite i have attached a makeshift crossover with a 4.7K and 0.5mH paralled together then connected in series with the + side, with this it sounds pretty good. I am assuming it will be ok, just concerned about the amperage.

JH

Are you saying that you have put a 4700 ohm resistor and a parallel .5mH inductor in series with the satellite speakers?

If you're not satisfied with the sound (and I gather from your posting that you are not), replace the speaker system rather than trying to change the design.

You can replace the Wall Wart with something that provides more current. You won't hear any difference.

JH, I'm not being nasty. I had the same speaker system at my office. I replaced it with something better because it really sucked.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
4.7K is a capacitor (label on it = 4.7K250). No worries, i got tough skin. It sounds ok, I was just playing around with it to see if I could modify it. It really is a piece of crap anyway. Its cheap and if it breaks who cares.

Any advice I get on this forum, i consider good advice.

Thanks

JH

That's a 4.7uf cap :)

You might try opening the unit and look for power filtering caps in there, add a some 2200uf on top of on what's in there at each amp (watch for polarity!) and bypass those with a polypropylene cap while you're at it.

As for the trafo, you can use w no prob up to 1000VA rated one - just kidding :)) don't do it like that - extra amperage capability on the trafo side will do no harm, but why bother?

The VA rating on trafos is the maximum specced current, in practice they stay at much lower levels, very close to what you actually draw from it.

Now, seriously, there's no need to put more money in those 'speakers' but if you get the 'tinkering' itch and there's nothing better to tear apart or build from scratch so be it :smash:

To be honest if you really want to beef up a pair of computer speakers, a good cheap solution is to use a National Semiconductor "Overture" poweramp IC (yes, the same things used in GainClones). It may not be worth it though if the speakers are too cheap and nasty to put up with any kind of decent power.

A retailer over here called Richer Sounds sells a pair of speakers called Ariston MSX04 for £15, they are 50W and fairly decent for computers. The only catch is you have to keep em away from the monitor as they're not shielded. These, run from a National LM4732 50W per channel amplifier, sound far far better than any computer speakers you could buy for a similar price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.