Destroyer use darlington in this circuit!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to use darlington TIP142 and TIP 146..... two pairs for a channel... bass is incredible...... and highs are a little brigther than the Sony TA-F30

Some changes were made

Attachments

• schema ta-f30.jpg
    schema ta-f30.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 645
hi

i have played around with the tips quite a bit - pretty stable too ive got 500 w rms driving at 1.8 ohms that thru a 24 db low pass

yeah the bass is good , but the high s - the square wave responce above 13 k wasnt that impressive (and triangle wave too)

percived hi s quality could go thru a majour over haul considering the bass

any ideas of improving the hi s

if you design or come across a circuit with a dual differential input id like to share it

suranjan

transducer design engineer

To hunter, a comment

Thank you related that inform related to triangle and square waveforms.

Maybe you can clarify something to me.... i never can reach a good square wave response,.... in any amplifier..... when the frequency is lower than 200 hertz....... i am using Multisim but square wave turns awfull on everything...... bad on every amplifier i simulate.

I am always assembling amplifiers trying to find the perfect sound.... never satisfied, and sometimes an old amp beats the special, hi level, hi power, hi quality, hi speed, hi special, hi hi, hi everything and bad sound to my ears.

I was thinking about that and i suppose that human being loves harmonics sounds.... a minimum off two tones superimposed.... like a harmonica musical instrument..... the sound of our life is full of harmonics like the resultant of sounds mixing on nature.... the wind sound, trees making their noises.... peoples crying, smiling and talking in various frequencies and levels..... A church Gregorian is wonderfull... a lot off people creating harmonics....but, since 1965 every designer is burning their mind trying to reduce or eliminate harmonics distortion, and sometimes disturb the correct audio...... the unit that have harmonics can be more confortable for us...... you can feel the sound warm and gentle......i think, i and my friends prefer harmonics and old stile amplifiers, simple and full of wonderfull defects on audio reproduction.

I heard a lot about problems with darlington sound quality... you are reinforcing this informations i had........thank you.... you may be correct.

Please, take a look in yesterday text i put, called, do not match transistors, buy matched units!

You be astonished..... very surprised what happens when we met friends and made comparisons between big double simetrical, hy powered units and a poor brother...older and ugly.

Calcuttá is India.......I think my country has similarities with your country....hello brother!!!

Carlos

I do not use darlingtons, because you do not have all the data of the two transistors inside. Looking at the data sheet it looks OK, but only so much. What I do not like is the hfe characteristics. In my book it must be as flat as possible, and this is not.

Carlos: What transistors do you have and what can you get (buy)?

I will also suggest to read other threads than this one, because there is a lot of good information in the other subjects. Make a search also on power transistor and amplifier. There may be older stuff with lots of good info. And then there all the webpages that show you how to build amplifiers.

hi

will get back on the amps later ! about the brother effect

we share are lot of similarities , we are the fastest growing economies of the world , set to be in the top 5 largest economies by 2020 - i guess every one knows that

other stuff we have in common is the tuff stand we took in wto - together

we have similar issues as it is same with coffee as is with tea , the west expects these prices to fall regularly and a in a short- while they should be available at a penny for 1 kilo

where as technology keeps getting expensive from the western countries

check out the prices of Klippel , Fluke , Techtronix !

(just waiting for the chinese to copy some of those stuff and kill the monopoly as they have done with :- pianoes , and lots more , surprising they have not yet got after LEGO & Marklin (model trains !)

about tea - it made me proud when a India co went and bought out Tetley out right - i think thats a good answear as our opposition in the wto are totally driven by their busness houses

(for eg. the worlds 3 rd or 4 th largest tanker is named after Condoleeza Rice no wonder they went after Iraq , but i guess it will take them some time , but they will do it as the government is busness owned Bush was a president of a oil co before)

oh yeah some people may say its not about oil as why not other countries then - well Iraq has the best quality of Arabin Light Crude available

ive been to Iran , Bahrain & Dubai too ask the guys there !

now if we buy out the busness houses then we control the govt .

by the way i have been to brazil , venezuala , colombo and panama

take care

suranjan

Thats good and great!

Sorry the ignorance.... we do not know details about nothing.... our television and press is always showing violence..... 631 thousand people killed by trafic..... because of cocaine!

Thank you a lot to spent your time explaining me that..... i never been there.... also i do not travell too much..... i studied in Japan and passed somedays in Hawai and United States..... where i gonne to the strip with the black man loocking into our handcases an all those things... customs!..... i thought the black one, seeing that i am brownish.... not completely white will be kind and faster to free my bagagge...... the oposite happens..... he asked me if i have marijuana inside!.....an offense to me!..... that's stupid..... if you have.... will you say him?

People told me that when you entered United States they asked you if you are a terrorist!......incredible question!

I have Portuguese face, also Italian face, also Greek face, also Danish face....but i look as some arabian people too..... of course.... they have been passed a long time in the place today we call Portugal.... so...... genetical consequence...... they think if you look Arabian you are terrorist....Look at Mr bush!.....in my country it looks like.....let me see...... bad people..... strange eyes..... evil......something alike..... crazy to understand people because the way they look!

Your informs related your country is wonderfull for me.... if you want to write more.... at leat 20 pages, go to my E Mail and we can share infos.

Carlos.... sorry if i said something bad..... cultural differences makes that shame sometimes.

Mr boholm answer

Thank you again the attention.

I have a lot of BD139/140 mismatched pairs......also a lot of TIP41/42 mismatched pairs..... all them big differences in gain..... i had matched them (or i think so) using base to emitters resistor, alike inside a darlington unit....but i dislike the sound i had.

I also have many 2N2955 and 2N3055 made in Brazil by a computer factory (assembly maybe).... those are heavy and good as RCA components.....but also 30 percent, sometimes 50 percent differences in gain.....DC gain......HFE is the gain with that depends on frequency.... or maybe depends on current.... i do not remember..... i think DC Gain differences can destroy the sound quality..... suppose wave form will be different.....i suppose i will have off set voltage in the output..... also that i will have to change resistor to match.... i do not like this confusion.... so, i decided to go into commercial units.... as TIP142 and TIP146.... just changing bias and it substitutes both final.... exciter and power transistors...... i feel good because is used only to amplified bass frequencies..... i have separated amplifiers to channels and Highs, mid range and Bass power....... if i wrong related to DC gain disturb AC audio, just tell me and explain that for me please...... i am thinking in the charge line, .... linear operation.....that's i worried about.

I have also two pairs of 2SC2922 and 2SC1016 (not sure the numbers but are correct complementary by Sanken).... they are 150 watts units.... 16 ampéres.....250 volts maximum, DC gain is around 130!.... differences of gain less than 10 percent between PNP and NPN.....but sounds awfull!.... i made a lot of amplifiers with them...... bass is no good!.... i do not know why..... it is precise..... you feel clearly the differences of frequencies when bass is appearing well.... ..... others are imprecise but i like them.... because heavy bass..... do you know!

I THINK I LIKE HARMONICS.... ALSO HARMONICS DISTORTION....and i suppose human beeing is alike me!.... because the world noises are harmonics inside our years..... thats natural sound in my idea....not equal studio...but equal nature.......hi quality equipment i can not hear them....i became nervous....i turning all the time treble and bass and equalizer and never satisfied!

Japanese is burning their brain reducing distortions!..... that's problem to my ears and to my friends years..... we discover that we like real bad equipment related to inside technologie.... simple circuits..... class A i love them.........Death of Zen is incredible!

That' enought for a while.... i have to go out of house to work.... we can continue latter on.

You welcome

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.