USSA-5 Build with Review

Received a padded envelope today :D

I’m a slow builder but at least I now have the essentials.

The N are both green and P are both orange

Attachments

• 0EAF1D18-EC0B-4D91-A9E1-23F071FA4D43.jpg
    0EAF1D18-EC0B-4D91-A9E1-23F071FA4D43.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 550

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Renesas does not have double die Mosfet to my knowledge. You need double die Mosfet (2 Mosfet transistors in parallel in same package thus perfectly matched) otherwise the damping factor would be much too low, distortion would rise and the sound would be very different.:eek:
The pcb only fits one pair (N and P) of double die Mosfet.
Fab

Renesas does not have double die Mosfet to my knowledge. You need double die Mosfet (2 Mosfet transistors in parallel in same package thus perfectly matched) otherwise the damping factor would be much too low, distortion would rise and the sound would be very different.:eek:
The pcb only fits one pair (N and P) of double die Mosfet.
Fab

Thanks for the concise explanation Fab and Garborbela.

No, it is not. You are simply biasing the amp per Fab’s instructions. If you build the amp properly:

1. Mounted all values properly
2. matched and authentic driver fets
3. Final VGS calculations and bias properly.
4. PSU caps that adhere too Fabs specs.

If you do all of that you will achieve good performance from the design, no scope required.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
No, it is not. You are simply biasing the amp per Fab’s instructions. If you build the amp properly:
If you do all of that you will achieve good performance from the design, no scope required.

Brilliant. That is what I was hoping and about what I thought.

I also note in these build pics for C5/6 a larger cap is used than the value in the BOM. Both are easily available from Mouser. Is this a case where more UF is better/worse/indifferent?

Thanks

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Use only the values Fab has specified, you may use higher service voltage, though.
That is right but for C5/C6 I have also used 7500uf instead of 4700uf in one of my build. However, both caps are the same brand/type/diameter.

Also, input cap may be better in quality than specified in BOM. You can use other members build experience or yours to chose how much you want to pay ;)...
Fab

Hi tonza75,

But please keep in mind that it is subjective review as you said. The other ones that I really like are the ClarityCAP MR/CMR. I'm sure there's much better alternatives but since it is a question of personal taste as well, some people might even like caps that add more coloration to the mix... I prefer as transparent as possible.

I've also tried the much cheaper Cornell Dubelier and found them excellent for the price after +/-50 hours of burn in. Their P/N : 940C6W4P7K-F

All the best!
Do