Pioneer A400 faint distortion on right channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand A400 on ebay and unfortunately there is a slight but audible distortion on the right hand channel when signal is present. The distortion sounds like a partially blown speaker (I spent an hour or so checking my speakers over before realising it was coming from the amp!) – a sort of signal dependant mechanical buzzing. It is most apparent with a low level mid-range signal such as an a bass guitar note and is present using all inputs and also on the right headphone output.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the distortion?

Also, I did a search on this forum and found a thread regarding A400 schematics. Would anyone be kind enough to email me the schematics?

Thanks,
Duncan

Thanks for your replies. Since my initial post I've had a closer inspection of the PCB and noticed some evidence of electrolyte leakage which could have come from one of two caps which I will try replacing.

Without schematics (and with little familiarity of amp design) I find it quite difficult to do fault diagnostics on a good channel vs faulty channel basis.

Thanks again.

Hi all,

I've replaced the old PSU smoothing Elna black/gold caps with Panasonic TSUP as I couldn't source any better of the same spec.

I'm soon about to replace the coupling caps with Audyn MKP QS , hoping this will make a worthwhile improvement. I'm also replacing some of the larger Elna/Nichicons for the L/R channels with Black Gates.

Any recommendations for mods to the A400, including my choice of the Audyn MKP QS would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dav

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.