Yamaha Service Manual Interpreter needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have no subwoofer output on my Yamaha RX-V367, I've set the speakers to their defaults and checked that there is nothing wrong with the Amplifier. I've found there are two lots of transistors for muting! One for all of the speakers at the output near the Electronic Volume and Selector chip and another set at the microprocessor, for individual speakers but I have to go into the Self Diagnostics to unmute the s/w? The Mute transistor for the s/w should show -11.7v (High) on the emitter but it's (low) at (3.4v) The instructions to unmute the s/w are strange, confusing and hard to follow for me so I'm hoping someone has had some experience with these Yamaha Self Diagnostics and can point me in the right direction.:D The service manual is available at elektrotanya.com.

Last edited:
Suggest you take a look at the owners manual rather than the service manual.

See page 36-37.
Subwoofer=YES is the default, so assume it's been changed to =NO

Press SETUP on remote control
Use up/down cursor arrors to select Speaker Setup then press Enter
Use up/down cursor arrors to select Config, then press enter
Use up/down cursor arrors to select Subwoofer, then press enter
Use Left/Right cursor arrors to make selection =YES
Press Setup to exit setup menu

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Suggest you take a look at the owners manual rather than the service manual.

See page 36-37.
Subwoofer=YES is the default, so assume it's been changed to =NO

Press SETUP on remote control
Use up/down cursor arrors to select Speaker Setup then press Enter
Use up/down cursor arrors to select Config, then press enter
Use up/down cursor arrors to select Subwoofer, then press enter
Use Left/Right cursor arrors to make selection =YES
Press Setup to exit setup menu

I appreciate your help but I explained that part first off by saying I set all the settings to their defaults as per the instructions. I'm not getting any sound from my external subwoofer, although it's working OK. Its because I'm not getting any output from the amplifier subwoofer at all, even on the tone test. I have worked out that the subwoofer is muted because the voltage on the muting transistor (Q2205) is low at 3.4v instead of high at -11.7v. My problem is that I cant work out the instructions to unmute it? Try and make sense of this from the instructions, if you can? ""Initial Settings used to start Self-Diagnostic Function"" *Master Volume-20dB. *Input: AV5. *Main menu 1. ANALOG BYPASS. *Speaker setting LARGE, Bass out to SWFR (All channels) The problem is that I have to go into the Initial settings (FIRST) to switch to Analog Bypass? It's a catch 22. :confused:

Owners manual shows if SMALL is selected then the bass component for the front
speakers will be directed to the SW. Bass component for other spkrs is unconditionally
directed to SW (if connected)

Q2205 is on the digital board. What source (digital/analogue) are you using, maybe try
something simple like AUX/CDP input. The schematic shows the SW_MT pin tied to GND
marked as no_use.
PLOOutrCAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There are two sets of muting transistors, one set from the microprocessor chip IC221 That includes Q2205 for each individual speakers; Front left and right, Center, surrounds and subwoofer and the same again muting Transistors Q2208 and Q2209 for the subwoofer from the E volume Selector chip IC21 directly to the S/W output. I can't find any way to unmute the subwoofer in (Advanced settings) so I Initialized the amplifier, setting it back to its original factory settings. That didn't do anything either, still no subwoofer output? Another Digital board will cost me $220. The amplifier cost me $225 brand new.I'm thinking it may be the IC221 chip because it's not causing Q2205 to have -11.7v at its emitter? Instead its 3.4v on the emitter causing it to mute the S/W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.