question about input sensitivity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
Connecting the computer to my very old amplifier input the sound was playing very very low.
The specs of the amplifier's input sensitivity are 180mV / 100KΩ
Doe's it mean that the amplifier input is not sensitive enough and that the signal need to pass through a preamp?

This is my very old amplifier which I connected to see if it's still working after so many years. I connected with small speakers just to test it. Next week I will brink back his old speakers to to see. Finlay I understand that the tape monitor switch and the input selector are having bad contacts when moving them the sound is coming back. I guess need to open and clean up.. Its a Sansui AU666

Deoxit. Thanks I take note.
I too, have issues with an old tuner/receiver not used for many years.
It had all the dial glass face lamps dead, all 5 of them.
Then twitching the source selector, the FM interstation muting, that was working, failed. Now it switches off the FM.
That' s life of old stuff...old but good.
I downloaded the service manual, bought a contact cleaner can, saw it is from WD40.
I'de like to know whether that one is good.
Well, I am ready for an opportunity to open it again.

@mchambin.

If it is proper contact cleaner made by the manufacturers of WD40 then it should be OK.

If it is the product WD40 itself, then some experts do not recommend using it on certain types of potentiometers for fear of damaging the tracks.

However, I have used WD40 successfully on both potentiometers and selector switches on vintage amplifiers.

WD40 has been silicone (not silicon) free since first invented 50 years ago.

It displaces moisture, cleans, lubricates and protects from rust.

Can't see WD40 doing any harm to selector switch contacts. For potentiometers, I'd recommend contact or switch cleaner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.