Anthony Holton vs Greg Ball mosfet amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day all,
The winter is in South Africa, no jobs to do outside, so I have to keep busy to keep me out of mischief, :D, I have a lot of IRF mosfets available. I was just about with the SKA150d form Greg ball when I spotted the AV400 from Anthony Holton. Have IRFP460 a plenty and IRFP250 as well as the usual IRFP240/9240. Some guy's like the SKA150D, some say the high frequencies are bad, some say the Holton amp is good. Some guy's like a Quasi, so it is difficult to decide. I do not need more than 120W, I have 35VAC trannies, 800VA but have a preference for a Quasi amp. I have build Quasi's 350W amp, It worked well but cross conduction happened so often that I let it go. Any Pointers guy's and girls ! Anyone tried both those amps ?:D

There is a Holton schematic called N-channel Mosfet Amp or something like that. I have built variations of that. In my experience, upto 56 volts supply is alright. Beyond that the amp does tend to pose problems with oscillation and particularly cross-conduction at high drive levels.

Instead you could choose one of the more modern offerings from Vzaichenko.

Good day all,
The winter is in South Africa, no jobs to do outside, so I have to keep busy to keep me out of mischief, :D, I have a lot of IRF mosfets available. I was just about with the SKA150d form Greg ball when I spotted the AV400 from Anthony Holton. Have IRFP460 a plenty and IRFP250 as well as the usual IRFP240/9240. Some guy's like the SKA150D, some say the high frequencies are bad...

The high frequencies are not bad. They amplifier is brutally neutral. If you like an amplifier to have a little life in it, this is not the one if built as per the original.

fyi: my build is here: TGM7 - an amplifier based on Greg Ball SKA

The amp is a very nice design, in my opinion. I haven't heard the Holton amps but there may be little to choose between them i.e. other factors such as your speakers and source are likely more relevant. The Holton amps are more modern looking in their construction if you ask me. However, my clone of the SKA took the original to a new level in terms of pcb design, using a very compact layout with smd parts in places. It's my reference amp when I want something 'too honest'. You can download the gerber files from my thread and order your own boards for not-a-lot of $ direct from China.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think you'll find that all the Holton amplifiers, at least the DIY models, use lateral mosfets. I don't think your stash of Hexfets will work too well in those designs so that leaves you with the SKA 150 or similar, such as Gareth's take on it.

There are many more good and interesting Hexfet designs out there, though. Currently I'm working toward a clone of Alex Nikitin's 40W Creek Audio model 4330. That uses cheap IRL540, TO220 mosfets but it's plenty of power for my needs and fairly efficient speakers.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi ultimate X86. Yes that is certainly a hexfet design but originating at least 20 years ago. I understand that it was intended for full DIY builds and before "Aussie Amplifiers" was committed to lateral mosfet designs in their high-end products. http://www.amplimos.it/images/N-CH1.JPG
I think there are a number of significant differences in Alex's designs to the basic form of Anthony's though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.