Leak Stereo 30 Plus and Stereo 70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help required please.

I have a Leak Stereo 30 plus and the headphone output has lost the left hand channel. On investigation I found that R56 L resistor had gone open circuit. The end cap had departed from the resistor body!
Looking at the circuit R56L and R56R are 100 ohms but there is no indication as the the wattage rating. They are quite large.
Can anyone help me with identifying a suitable replacement resistor please.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmmm. Worst case which assumes the amp is being driven with a sine test signal at full power would need something around 6 watts rating. That is worst case and assumes the headphones are pretty much zero impedance.

For normal music at any reasonable volume and a 2watt carbon or metal film would be fine and would not even get warm.

There is a huge difference between full power testing and normal usage. The amp itself wouldn't survive that long under full power test conditions so you have to be realistic sometimes.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hmmm. Worst case .... a 2watt carbon or metal film would be fine ....

And remember this is a headphone output. If we were melting 6 Watt resistors the headphones would burn your ears.

So the end-cap fell off because the crimp got old, not because it was abused with audio.

Agree 2W ought to be affordable over-kill; unless the thing must pass sustained full-power tone-tests with a short in the HP jack, then use 5W.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.