Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

The Blomley Class B amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2018, 05:36 PM   #31
Antoinel is offline Antoinel  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Ian and thank you for your above post which overflows with a generous dose of valuable knowledge, expertise and guidance.

The CSD power output stage in your [.asc file] is the one to use. In addition to the independent and proven results of your research, its resultant pulse currents are identical in magnitude for the upper and lower Pout half-stages. With the added bonus of a stay-on current [your term] once the pulse disappears. Meaning the output transistors do not turn off in operation This is a real accomplishment and a leap forward for improving this and other amps.

I'll buy the Linear Audio Vol. 13 which has your article on CSD. And also read-in the links at the bottom of your posts. There's a lot of education therein and in Linear Audio.

I have a suggestion which I hope that you consider; because of our intense interest, enthusiasm and evident skill in this subject matter and more. You've already done a lot of research towards the following suggested power amplifier, and I feel that you are having a lot of fun in this thread.

1. Take your Cube-Law Class A amplifier.
2. Remove the cube-law and linear drivers.
3. Plug-in a CSPR at the vacant location of the above drivers.
4. The valuable enhancements which precede and follow the CSPR driver stay.
5. The PCB for the Cube-Law Class A amp exists. An epi-board for CSPR can hopefully sit on top for the time being. That'll be a beautiful sight to see.

I will continue to look forward to your theoretical and practical output. This nonstandard topology [thanks to Blomley] is truly in evident great hands [yours]. I am glad for this open source diyAudio which continues to offer new possibilities for other amplifiers to happen.

Best wishes

Anton
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:38 AM   #32
haiqu is offline haiqu  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
There was a recent article on the Blomley over on 'allaboutcircuits'. Its a great read.

My 40-Year Love Affair with a Remarkable Amplifier—A Class B Amplifier for Audiophiles

I also did a sim for curiosity. You will need to put your own models into it and alter voltage source V1 to get the desired quiescent current:
Where do I find "discrete models.txt" required by this sim?
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:29 AM   #33
IanHegglun is offline IanHegglun  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Where do I find "discrete models.txt" required by this sim?
I got around this in Post 10 sim by adding:
.include Cordell-models.txt
.model 2N2955 ako:MJL21193C

and remove the ".inc discrete models.txt"
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:59 AM   #34
haiqu is offline haiqu  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ian.
Old 3rd June 2018, 01:37 PM   #35
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Have you got the sim working now ?
Old 4th June 2018, 04:19 PM   #36
N101N is offline N101N
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, the suggested solution is based on some erroneous assumptions. Whenever the dynamic (signal) energy level is in excess of the static (DC bias) energy level, there are two possible scenarios: either switching to higher static (DC bias) energy level or remaining in saturation (nonconducting state).

The Blomley Class B amplifierHide this!Advertise here!