Would like to duplicate the front glass on McIntosh MC7106 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All, Have this McIntosh MC7106 that FED EX damaged about 4 months ago. I'm on what supposed to be a 6 month waiting list for front glass but when I called lady said that was just estimate and could be much longer. I think this could be closely duplicated. A local sign shop said they could get it close but the labor to do would be about what I'd pay MCIntosh. What I was thinking is if someone had a vey good picture in no ways skewed or better yet if someone could scan their front face of their 7106 I think I could get a transparency and print then glue to back of acrylic. If anyone has this model and would be willing to scan or take very good pic with it on(in order to get colors right). I will be much appreciative and share the results of this. Thanks

I don't think it's laser engraved. I forget what it's called but looks like a back coating on the glass. The sign shop here said they would do it with self adhesive vinyl onto glass but setting up all the stuff on front panel with some of it being semi transparent without anything to go by except a few pieces of broke glass and internet pics would be the problem.

A few years ago I had a Kenwood 700M front glass made. A silk screen shop did it for me. They matched the color, lettering and logo perfectly. The cost was $90 for 1 and $120 for 10. I furnished the glass which cost maybe $25 for the 10 pieces.

The first attempt was a sign shop with the adhesive vinyl. It looked terrible.

You can use UV print, it's basically a printing method similar to ink jet but that uses an array of UV LEDs to harden the 'ink'. The various color layers should be duplicated from the original glass and printed mirrored on the inside. This is the closest to how it's originally done (with a series of silk screen prints). That being said I suppose the biggest problem would be drilling the various holes...

If you are good with a graphics program such as Photoshop, you can re-create the artwork even from a broken glass as long as you can keep it in one piece (to get the positions and dimensions of the artwork right). The problem is finding a place where you can scan the whole thing precisely.

The glass on this is shattered and in pieces in a bag. It only has 2 large pieces left. I was hoping someone else out there had one of these and would scan with a hand scanner as a printer scanner would be way too small. May just have to go with internet pics. I used to be ok with Photoshop but haven't used it in years.

Here was best I could put back together-just not enough to scan. Many pieces were missing backing or just too small to put together. Would be nice if a mac worker or owner had a scan or perfect pic of this amp.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    717.4 KB · Views: 151
Type of glass

I have experience with glass panels for amps. This was passed on to me by an amp builder of boutique valve amps.

The glass is a laminated type with a plastic film between two glass layers. The glass can be drilled slowly with a diamond drill. The difficult part is getting through the plastic layer without it catching on the drill and causing ripples elsewhere. The glass panels were produced in small production batches with a silk screen on the back side. This silk screen was in turn protected by its own plastic film applied afterwards.

The laminated glass makes it safer for a domestic environment since if it is broken, the plastic lamination will hold the pieces.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.