Newbee - needs your help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the process of Putting a H/T / Audio system together and was hoping
that I could find a really good mono block design on here for each of my Channels. I'm Running Dynaudio Contour 1.3Se with an Anthem AVM60 Processor. I'm more concerned with audio quality than H/T. I'm a fan of the Simaudio, Blue Circle, etc. I haven't listened to Pass Labs before but am open to suggestions. I really like a warm/rich sound but with great bass response. Aka not tubes..

Is there a kit on here/out there or a well known design that I could put together? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys
Nathan

If you need that much power, the diyaudio honeybadger kit, sold up in the top banner, is a great way to start. If you really want to limit the power, leave off one pair of output transistors and buy a smaller transformer.
An accurate amp will not produce "warmth". That is done with graphic equalizers or digital signal processors, emphasizing certain frequencies. Vacuum tubes can be used in instrument amps to emphasize the midrange for guitars or basses, but that is the amp design, not inherent in the tube themselves.
High damping factor makes for accurate bass. Bargain tube amps had limited transformer design to save money, with inevitable low damping factor. SS designs tend to have high damping factor, over 100.
BTW for newbies learning to solder, buy the speaker protection circuit to avoid hitting your speakers with DC voltage. May save your expensive speaker. Designs that directly connect the output transistors to the speaker can produce DC at rail voltage if one solder joint pops loose.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.