Simple power amp 50W to drive my Kef Q100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey fellow diyers,

Finding the right project to start for the right application is really tough in this immense sea of threads. It's quite incredible how many pages are written about so many different designs for different applications, and yet I have a hard time pin pointing what I should start with. I've been searching the forum, reading a bunch of threads but I need some guidance to find the right project for me.

I currently own a beautiful Onkyo M-506RS with huge VU meters that I love. But my girlfriend does not love this huge thing sitting proudly in my living room and wants me to get rid of it for something that fits in our TV stand ... I already had to get rid of my Tannoy monitors and now this ... Anyways, it's a good excuse for a new project.

I have some experience with building amps, from small tripath stuff to a nice push pull of KT88s. The only thing I don't know how to do is designing and making PCBs, that's really my limitation.

I ended up buying the Kefs because they sound great with a sub (I have a nice SVS) and they look good. I may switch to LS50s someday so let's keep that in mind since I've read they are difficult to drive.

Anyways, these Q100 are somewhat low efficiency at 86db/w/m, so I need something that has some headroom. The Onkyo is giving me that, maybe way more than I need.

My source is a standalone DAC.

To summarize what I'd like to achieve:

- Drive my Q100 and down the line LS50s properly, which means 30-50W per channel into 8ohms
- $500 budget all inclusive
- Not a huge box (that should be easy I assume)
- I'd prefer to keep it solid state, just because I've already done tubes and digital amps
- I'd prefer being able to purchase an already made PCB if possible
- I only need a power amp since I already have a receiver which is my DAC

Do you have suggestions on what I should go with ?

I think you should consider an older Pass Labs design the class A "A40". 40 Watts of class a that sounds wonderful. I think that boards might be out there. If not you could easily build this on perf board. Not a complicated design. I have had mine for 15 years and is still the best quality amp I own.

Joined 2011
I think you should consider an older Pass Labs design the class A "A40". 40 Watts
of class a that sounds wonderful. I think that boards might be out there.

The only drawback of any of the NP class A power amplifiers is the idle dissipation,
150W or more total. They do need good ventilation. The original article has a sample
pcb layout. http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_a40.pdf

Hey Rafoo

Who's house is it?

The GF has veto power over everything you do and own? Doesn't sound equitable.

Haha, no she does not, it's a matter of compromise. I can spend money for good audio stuff, but it has to look somewhat acceptable, that's the compromise. And this Onkyo amp, as gorgeous as it is in my eyes, is a pretty big piece of 80's kitch in the middle of our living room. As for the Tannoy monitors, they are seriously ugly haha.
I mean, she's ok with my big sub so I can't complain too much !

As for A/B versus digital, what's the consensus today ? I assume it's a tough question to answer. Anyways, are there some A/B designs I should be looking into ?

Hey fellow diyers,

Finding the right project to start for the right application is really tough in this immense sea of threads. It's quite incredible how many pages are written about so many different designs for different applications, and yet I have a hard time pin pointing what I should start with. I've been searching the forum, reading a bunch of threads but I need some guidance to find the right project for me.

I currently own a beautiful Onkyo M-506RS with huge VU meters that I love. But my girlfriend does not love this huge thing sitting proudly in my living room and wants me to get rid of it for something that fits in our TV stand ... I already had to get rid of my Tannoy monitors and now this ... Anyways, it's a good excuse for a new project.

I have some experience with building amps, from small tripath stuff to a nice push pull of KT88s. The only thing I don't know how to do is designing and making PCBs, that's really my limitation.

I ended up buying the Kefs because they sound great with a sub (I have a nice SVS) and they look good. I may switch to LS50s someday so let's keep that in mind since I've read they are difficult to drive.

Anyways, these Q100 are somewhat low efficiency at 86db/w/m, so I need something that has some headroom. The Onkyo is giving me that, maybe way more than I need.

My source is a standalone DAC.

To summarize what I'd like to achieve:

- Drive my Q100 and down the line LS50s properly, which means 30-50W per channel into 8ohms
- $500 budget all inclusive
- Not a huge box (that should be easy I assume)
- I'd prefer to keep it solid state, just because I've already done tubes and digital amps
- I'd prefer being able to purchase an already made PCB if possible
- I only need a power amp since I already have a receiver which is my DAC

Do you have suggestions on what I should go with ?

Have a look at the AX-14 from Apex:
100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

Real shame you have to ditch your Onkyo. They are very nice.

Under 4" high, unobtrusive, powerful enough -
You want a used Peavey rack mount unit, painted black. Peavey CS 800S 1200 Watts Professional Stereo Power Amplifier Amp | eBay
Road weary units may need volume pots, input or output connectors, electrolytic caps replaced. The boards are already made. Besides this cs800s there was a PV2.6c listed that was 130 w/ch. Note peavey advertised power ratings are usually at 4 ohms, the 8 ohm ratings are lower and are contained in the user manual.
Search ebay from europe for the bargains in your area. I wouldn't import anything from the US.
The new units are over your budget, but accepting a problem or two gets a unit in your range, with a little work required. Peavey is quite free with their schematic diagrams and parts are available from them if you can't find a replacement that will fit. My 1998 cs800s had the input resistors blown on the removeable card, $.01 each, and some tired e-caps that needed replacing, about $50 worth.
I would stay away from modern digital models, the internal main parts are not repairable by ordinary mortals.
My dynaco st120 with apex AX6 cards would fit the bill, black, only 4" tall, but boards are not available for sale for Apex projects. Retro Amp 50W Single Supply - Page 22 - diyAudio I built my boards point to point on Nema CE board, highly labor intensive, but very hand made. The picture is on page 22 of that thread. Boards are 3 3/4" high. My unit puts out 72 W for a half second at a time on two channels on "8 ohm" speakers, minimum 5.5 ohm at one frequency.

Last edited:
Rafoo I have the same requirements for a project: Easy build / compact enclosure and around 50W for smaller speakers.

I think the PeeCeeBee V4 is the right one for me and possibly yourself, nice compact lateral Mosfet design with few components and very good specs and reviews. The amp boards can mount directly onto 70 or 80mm high heatsinks.

The new group buy for the smaller V4 boards is under way to sign up:

PeeCeeBee V4 GB!

The PeeCeeBee can be run with a high quality audio 600W SMPS here, so it will be practically plug and play :)

Audio SMPS units for sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.