Speaker cables don't influence harmonic distortion!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was referring to ____ Perhaps I took this out of some other context? If so, sorry bout that.
jn

I guess you easily read that as commenting on sound. The lower Z cables did seem to make a difference but it was not a fully validated test. Certainly a cable could impact the amplifiers stability.

I remember John Atkinson did once measure some HF loss through a speaker cable into a speaker. its was not a lot but may have been at the threshold of audibility.

I should set up with whatever cables I have here and see if they make a measurable difference. Somehow I have other more pressing tasks first.

I knew that a topic started with wires would end up screwed.

Nothing has happened, life and the thread continue, as you have seen, do not despair ! ;)

My OT is not so serious and maybe you did not see the relationship that exists between my comments and some previous posts, that of the measurements in inches or meters, in kilos or pounds, etc ...:(

I return to the subject and this doubt arises.

I understand that all measurements and calculations presented here do not apply equally to an SS exit stage or tubes exit stage. I think they are two totally different scenarios. There will be significant variations in the results if we use for the measurement of the hypothetical distortion of the speaker cables an output stage SS with classical negative feedback or a SET with tubes class A, or a PP, with or without feedback, etc, is not it?
(Regardless of the fact that the tube amplifiers have more distortion but sound better, so it is even less important to worry about the connection cable to the speakers)
So, I think we should clarify this point. We have low voltages and high currents in one case and in the other high voltages and low currents ....

Am I wrong or not? What do you think ?

Last edited:
I agree tube amplifiers and solid state amplifiers are different beasts, mostly because SS has lower damping factor and much lower with large negative feedback. About other aspects I do not know tube amps well enough.
We have low voltages and high currents in one case and in the other high voltages and low currents ....
As far as the output of the amp is concerned, tube or SS should make no difference when used on the same speaker. That is the impedance only of the speaker making a difference.

An effect that does not exist ( I think ? ) with tube which is important with SS is the load reacting backward into the amplifier. Because SS output stages are voltage followers, the load impedance creeps back to the input of the follower. So here, comes in zobel circuitry and the output inductor coil to cope with this to help for stability. I think this is specific to SS amps, but I may be wrong, knowing not much about tube amps.
I have the feeling that there is something wrong designing amplifiers to drive any and all loudspeakers. I wonder why amplifiers and speakers are such foreign worlds. It seems to me that there should be a tight adaptation of the amplifier output circuitry to the speaker for an optimizied system.

I agree tube amplifiers and solid state amplifiers are different beasts, mostly because SS has lower damping factor and much lower with large negative feedback. About other aspects I do not know tube amps well enough.
As far as the output of the amp is concerned, tube or SS should make no difference when used on the same speaker. That is the impedance only of the speaker making a difference.

I think that from the point of view of the power that the speaker receives, things are similar, but electronically, the way in which the amplifier achieves that power is what I think would alter all the measurements on the interconnection cables that transfer the power. power to the speaker.

Let's go back to Mr. Ohm

If an SS amplifier delivers 135 continuous watts (Rms) to the speaker, typical for example: power supply +/- 45 volts for 3 amperes at the output.

If

ExI = P

then 45 x 3 = 135 watts

Now if you have an output transformer to adapt the high voltage and the high output impedance of the valve plates to a small load of 8 ohms ...... hummm, I will not achieve 135 watts with those same voltage values ​​and current in the transference of power from the primary to the secondary of the transformer.

As I see it, it would be a coincidence between totally different circuits almost miraculous. I can get for example :

12 volts x 11.25 amperes = 135 watts

I do not know if the point is understood ...

I have the feeling that there is something wrong designing amplifiers to drive any and all loudspeakers. I wonder why amplifiers and speakers are such foreign worlds. It seems to me that there should be a tight adaptation of the amplifier output circuitry to the speaker for an optimizied system.

Good question ... in valve amplifiers there are the OTL .... and in SS outputs with transformer .... it is a very complex and varied world. There are configurations for all tastes, with their detractors and defenders ...

OTL Amplifier Design

I just saw this in a Ham radio e-mail group:

Andrew (cable company) published some research that shows the PIM (passive intermod) differences between braid and solid copper shields for coax. I couldn't find that pdf on the web, but it shows how braid generates more IM products than solid Cu tubing. I think its pretty insignificant for HF ham radio.

Sorry, i do not get it.

A difficult point is the interraction of the cable with what is at both end.
My understanding of the purpose of this threat is about the interraction, not the cable really.
I agree with you, I read the OTL article and I liked the ending, which I copy and paste ... CCA & More RMAF

" I also encountered near universal scorn and derision for high-end cable manufacturers. I can understand the logic behind such animus, as it must be painful to see $20 worth of wire selling for more than your power amplifier or loudspeaker or turntable... These cable guys run a markup that would make a jewelry store owner blush. Sure, cables can prove important, but they should never cost more than the rest of your system. Or am I getting this wrong? Would $20 speakers hooked up with $10,000 cables sound much better than $10,000 speakers hooked up with $20 cables? "

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.