Technics SA-5270K loud white noise with volume at 0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
I almost bought a Technics SA-5270K receiver with dead FM section. I didn`t mind it, troubleshooting is half of the fun with "new" things, however other thing put me off: quite loud white noise, even with volume at 0, most noticeable in headphones. After coming home I checked noise levels on a few of my other units, and none was even remotely as noisy as the Technics. In fact, even after cranking the volume all the way up no unit came close to the Technics` level, and they`re nothing special: Pioneer SA-500, Dual CV-1200, Realistic STA-20, old Polish ZRK AT9100... I did not expect such behavior from a 1977 Technics.

My question: is this a fault and if so what you`d suspect, or are these Technics receivers that much noisy by design? If the former, I`d go back and take it, since it was in nice cosmetic condition and it would be fun to troubleshoot. If the latter, I`d rather skip.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The 5270 should sound like the 500. I currently have both a 500 and a 5470.
More switches on the later one, better build quality on the older, although the specs on the later a smidge better.

Both companies were going after the same market, so you had similar machines with varying styles over a dozen years or so. Nice tuners, A or AB amps, big power supplies for their ratings.

The Technics is also roomy and fairly easy to work on.

Last edited:
I have rather unpleasant memories from my encounters with Technics amps, namely SU-V3 and SU-V5. Both were a serious pain to work on: weird preamp-less design and layout, not to mention poor quality flexible pcb made of paper laminate.
After looking at SA-5270`s schematic I realized that it`s design is quite similar: it has no preamp section, instead there`s only one stage and tone controls are "injected" in the middle of it. I`m not a fan of this design, both SU-V3 and SU-V5 sucked sound-wise: everything sounded muffled and muddy. Maybe the SA-5270 sounds better, but I won`t bet much on it. For sure it won`t be a pleasant patient, if I decide to buy it.

Back on topic, any experiences with noise while amp is idle? Anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.