car amp repair question!!!!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am new to this but i have an amp that i am trying to fix and is bugging the heck out of me. it is a Alpine FLEX MRP-F356 amp. 4 ch @ 75W and a sub @ 150W. the problem is that when i hook it up to my car it keeps blowing my fuse now so i hooked it up to a 12v psu in my house, everything connected except the remote. looks fine untill i connect the remote and it draws so much power that my Psu over heats. i checked it and it is going from 12 v to 5 v with a half second delay. it looks like the power supply in the amp. maybe a deac Cap. can any one help me with this?

Most common causes of that are :

- Shorted transistor(s) in the audio output stages [most usual cause]

- Control circuit of the PSU malfunctioning and causing heavy cross-conduction or transformer saturation [rare]

- Shorted rectifiers in PSU transformer secondary [very rare]

sndtch6 said:
i am new to this but i have an amp that i am trying to fix and is bugging the heck out of me. it is a Alpine FLEX MRP-F356 amp. 4 ch @ 75W and a sub @ 150W. the problem is that when i hook it up to my car it keeps blowing my fuse now so i hooked it up to a 12v psu in my house, everything connected except the remote. looks fine untill i connect the remote and it draws so much power that my Psu over heats. i checked it and it is going from 12 v to 5 v with a half second delay. it looks like the power supply in the amp. maybe a deac Cap. can any one help me with this?

From what you describe, it makes me think that your output transistors are blown. Possibly (but rarely) the rectifier diodes. Chances are if you open it up, you'll see what's blown. If any of the output transistors are blown in the audio section, I'd recomend replacing them all... ...same goes for power supply tranistors...

-Dan

The most common pinout of the bipolar power transistors used on these kind of amps is :

[Device seen from marking side and with legs pointing down]

Base - Collector - Emitter [from left to right]

Most common fault is a short between collector and emitter. Some devices may appear to be almost shorted due to the circuit showing a low impedance path, in that case try testing the devices removed from the circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.