I know it goes against current wisdom but...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switch mode power supplies and single ended transistor amps can sound really good. There, I've said it! I'm currently using a 2n3055 / tip31 darlington SE amp powered by a modified atx supply - see http://www.mthain.dsl.pipex.com/mickey.html. Has anyone else tried this - Either my ears have gone faulty or I'm onto something interesting. Give it a try and let me know what you think
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I did something along these lines 30 years ago.

Parallel LM741s driving a 2n3055 as an emitter follower with a 50 watt Dale wire wound resistor as the current source. The power supply was not a switcher but a big transformer with a CLC filter.

As I remember it sounded very good for a 4 watt amp burning up about 75 watts. It got so hot in about 20 minutes that you couldn't touch it. Fans would have helped a lot I'm sure.

Later BZ

Yes, It's very much along the Zen lite theme - the amp circuit isn't unusual at all, but building it with a computer power supply makes it very inexpensive and nice and quiet (apart from the fan noise that is). Just a bit of fun really but I have built a few for friends and it has to be one of the cheapest ways of getting into SE class A. A lot more musical that your average cheapie integrated amp in my opinion.

Since drawing the schematic I tried moving things around with the lamp between the emitter and ground and the collectors connected directly to +24v. Also replaced the existing bias components with a single 220k pot between 24v and the base of the tip31. Seems to sound a bit smoother this way.

On your home page you say:
I was impressed by the way decay of sounds was captured
I know *exactly* what you mean. My memory of previous sound systems was that as a sound faded away it "crumbled" and deteriorated into dirty little pieces. I have had ~18 months of class A listening now, and the difference is that those decaying sounds are =absolutely= clean and detailed as they receed away into the ambience and the distance.

You know it's real if you weren't expecting it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.