Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
....and another psu to try with the Alpha BB.
I decided to try another capMx, this one is: Simplified MrEvil / PMI Capacitance Multiplier by Jason Kuetemann. I had very good results using the Allo CM board with my Big MoFo amplifier so, when I found out the Allo was a positive rail only copy of this circuit I decided to try the full version for my BB.
So far the results are much better than the first capMx I tried. I have it adjusted to drop only 1.5vdc and the heat generated from the MosFets is very manageable. The Wakefield 272 heatsinks are reading 55°C. Im using off-board bridge rectifiers instead of T0-220 on-board rectifiers which is a nice option this board incorporated.

Nice work, Vunce. I was meaning to try this too and glad you did. Does it also provide a slow ramp up that prevents speaker thump?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Does it also provide a slow ramp up that prevents speaker thump?

Hi X,
No, this capMx doesn’t stop the turn-on thump/cone excursion.
I also put the Fo-Felix EMI Filter for AC mains 120/230v; By Folsom, into the mix. It’s installed between mains input and trafo primaries. I’ve documented in the past the noises I was getting when different combinations of led recessed lights were on throughout my house. I am pleased to say that this filter eliminated almost all the “extra” noises/buzzing I was hearing close to the speaker.

Last edited:
Yes, run it close to rated current to maximise the inductance......
You will need two for each channel, of course, it's expensive and heavy.
I would use around 20mH with DCR no more than 0.66R to minimise losses.

I have an ALPHA running 1.85A and simple CRCRCRC, with two resistors of 0.15 between all electrodes of the caps. That seems to be very quiet and drops 1.66V over the chain. Each RC has an attenuator of around 5, so three RC gives me 125 ripple attenuation, finishing with around 15mV at the output devices. This is sufficient because the first and second stages are heavily filtered.

Cheers,

HD

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X,
No, this capMx doesn’t stop the turn-on thump/cone excursion.
I also put the Fo-Felix EMI Filter for AC mains 120/230v; By Folsom, into the mix. It’s installed between mains input and trafo primaries. I’ve documented in the past the noises I was getting when different combinations of led recessed lights were on throughout my house. I am pleased to say that this filter eliminated almost all the “extra” noises/buzzing I was hearing close to the speaker.

That's great that the mr Evil cap mx works to smooth ripples and do the cap multiplying thing, but that's too bad it doesn't have the slow ramp effect. I wonder if changing an RC time constant on the circuit would do this?

Good to hear that the Fo-Felix helps the buzzing noise pickup from the LED lamps and EMI in general. I think it blocks DC too? That might be one reason why the Antek's get saturated.

Yes, run it close to rated current to maximise the inductance......
You will need two for each channel, of course, it's expensive and heavy.
I would use around 20mH with DCR no more than 0.66R to minimise losses.

I have an ALPHA running 1.85A and simple CRCRCRC, with two resistors of 0.15 between all electrodes of the caps. That seems to be very quiet and drops 1.66V over the chain. Each RC has an attenuator of around 5, so three RC gives me 125 ripple attenuation, finishing with around 15mV at the output devices. This is sufficient because the first and second stages are heavily filtered.

Cheers,

HD

I know, they go about 15-20€ per piece, so almost 80€. I havent bought anything yet, just planning. Have to measure that can I even fit those chokes inside. More R is not a problem, since I have 30v trafo secondaries.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I also put the Fo-Felix EMI Filter for AC mains 120/230v; By Folsom, into the mix. I am pleased to say that this filter eliminated almost all the “extra” noises/buzzing I was hearing close to the speaker.

I kept investigating and found that the “extra” noise stopped when the fans were turned off. After a conversation with X, I installed a CLC filter I had from the AKSA Lender Preamp between the wallwart psu and the PWM fan controller. This combination worked very well to quiet the remaining “noise” I was hearing.

Attachments

• 3EA8531B-DA65-417C-8E8F-C9ECFA9BA453.jpg
    3EA8531B-DA65-417C-8E8F-C9ECFA9BA453.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 414
  • 2533DDA5-93FD-4B50-9412-7EA0B2B8583F.png
    2533DDA5-93FD-4B50-9412-7EA0B2B8583F.png
    149.7 KB · Views: 417
Joined 2014
Paid Member
JPS64 adds these CLC’s upstream of any pulsed digital system such as DC-DC or PWM modules. It seems to do the trick here doesn’t it? What’s odd is the Fo-Felix did not stop this from coming up from the mains.

JPS64 has the right idea, it worked for my setup.
The Fo-Felix is filtering the mains for the Alpha BB only, the psu for the PWM controller and fans is not connected to the Fo-Felix.

Hi guys
I would love to ask a big favor from someone US (resident)or has US shipping address.
I found some parts for my TV at the US eBay, unfortunately, the seller does not ship internationally (Canada). He does not set up to do that so he politely rejected my offer. Can someone help me with these before he will sell his parts?
Not that giant parts but without those, I cannot fix my TV and now I just can NOT purchase a NEW TV. Please contact me via PM.
Thanks very much. I was meditating on these almost two weeks until I took the courage to ask... Unfortunately, I don't have any relatives or close friend to ask for.