Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Maty, nice detective work and diabolical use of the victim's own words to extract a confession and richer explanation and creating an enhanced appreciation of his handiwork.

Hugh, once again, thank you for not just answering the question, but diving in and giving us the panoramic view in full Technicolor!

Last edited:
I am looking for a good PSU board with atleast 8 caps provision for my Aksa build. I have the CRC PSU boards but it has only 4 caps option and I have good quantity of 15000uf Rubycon caps which I want to use as the cost of the 33000uf caps is too high. Even if Gerber files are available I can try to get some boards made like minimum quantity of 5 or so and use the remaining boards for future use. I would prefer a proper PSU board rather than to attempt point to point wiring :)

Any pointers, thank you.

I am looking for a good PSU board with atleast 8 caps provision for my Aksa build. I have the CRC PSU boards but it has only 4 caps option and I have good quantity of 15000uf Rubycon caps which I want to use as the cost of the 33000uf caps is too high. Even if Gerber files are available I can try to get some boards made like minimum quantity of 5 or so and use the remaining boards for future use. I would prefer a proper PSU board rather than to attempt point to point wiring :)

Any pointers, thank you.

I used this:

Universal PSU – diyAudio Store

Though, it's sold out currently.

With a 500va (overkill) transformer, that power supply works very well for my Alpha 20.

Cheers,
Gable

@manniraj

Still available: 15EUR + 16EUR shipping.

JP

Attachments

• F6-PSU.jpg
    F6-PSU.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 409
I’ve been working on the enclosure and it’s taking more time than expected. It is a wonderful amplifier that I want to look as good as it sounds:)

Sigh... getting the enclosure prim and proper can take up more time than expected, especially if you are DIYing some parts.

Good luck with the enclosure build and look forward to pics once it's done.

When you have the 20 in a nice case you will then have an itch to make the Big Boy!

Quite an addiction we all struggle with!

Hugh

Hugh,

Even looking at the pics of the BB board and cooling contraptions that X has shared makes me want to build one... but first need to build the 20W version. :)

Last edited:
Jean-Paul,

Thank you for meeting up with XRK; you have beat me to it! Australia is such a long way from the larger population countries.......

I studied your work on the BB52 pcb and how you integrated the cooling system using the fan heatpipe system XRK selected.

I don't think anyone else could have done a better job. Formidable, fantastique!! Thank you so much.... as you may know I had done a ALPHA 20 pcb which integrates two CRCRCRC power supplies, but it is not as pretty or elegant as your versions.

Zia,

I think the 20W is the best one to build because the power density of the BB is horrific. Only a fully committed Class A nutter would ever build the BB, it's a bit over the top, and particularly worrisome in a hot climate.

Ciao,

Hugh

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Hugh,
I totally agree that no one else could have done a better job. It’s not just my CPU cooler that works, JP designed it to be universal with probably 99% of the CPU cooler mounting bolts out there. Vunce reported to me that it fits his Dell OEM coolers perfectly as well. There’s a lot of work involved to make something *Universal* for. So my hats off to JP for a superb design. I have been on travel and the day job has not been very cooperative with building an over the top Class A amp lately. :)

Last edited:
X,

I believe, based on your listening sessions and those of Vunce and PCgab (?), I hope that this circuit will rank with Pass' other DIY amps in time. If I were him, or even JLH, I would be very, very proud that their designs have lasted so many years. I was around the year the JLH 10W amp was released in 1969 and my experience lasts to this day (as many in my University days..... but that is another story!). The JLH is still around, at that time Nelson Pass was my age - 18 years - and had not yet left his indelible mark on the industry.

When you consider the Class D amps which had begun to dominate midfi and particularly the auto audio about ten years, it is actually remarkable that the best, the most engaging and the most musical amps are still the Class A linear circuits.

Here's hoping the ALPHA comes to rank with its forefathers, particularly the JLH and the Aleph from which its heritage is derived......

Hugh