Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Suggestions for amplifier ratings
Suggestions for amplifier ratings
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2018, 03:38 PM   #11
SamAnytime is offline SamAnytime  India
diyAudio Member

So, I have one recommendation for 85W, 175W and 350W, one recommendation for 10W, 100W and 1000W and one recommendation for 10W, 80W and 640W. Any other suggestions?
Old 25th January 2018, 08:06 PM   #12
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You could try market research. Ask people who buy audio amplifiers, not people who make them themselves.

You could try hiring someone who knows about audio.
Old 25th January 2018, 08:13 PM   #13
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAnytime View Post
If someone is looking to manufacture a modest series of audio amplifiers
In my experience there are too many people selling amplifier modules.
You will never compete with the Chinese.
Too few customers.

Maybe something up market might sell more profitably.
Old 27th January 2018, 02:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Any suggestions for what is considered up market these days? Btw. I said 'modest range', not modest amps. Meaning 'not too many models'.

Also, any thoughts on the rated power capacity vs. the power delivered under gross overdrive? My rough calculations suggest about 1:3 - i.e. an amp rated to deliver 100W before onset of clipping will be delivering almost 300W if overdriven to the max (nearly square wave output).
Old 28th January 2018, 10:02 AM   #15
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamAnytime View Post
......................any thoughts on the rated power capacity vs. the power delivered under gross overdrive? My rough calculations suggest about 1:3 - i.e. an amp rated to deliver 100W before onset of clipping will be delivering almost 300W if overdriven to the max (nearly square wave output).
A perfect square wave has exactly twice (2 times) the power delivery compared to a perfect sinewave with the same peak voltage.

An overdriven (clipped peaks) amplifier with just a tiny amount of measured distortion (1% due to clipped peaks) sounds terrible.
Try a sinewave and gradually increase the level into a high impedance load (an 8ohms speaker with a 100r to 1k0 resistor in series). Listen to it just as the scope starts to show mild clipping. It is very clear when the signal becomes clipped.
Old 9th February 2018, 04:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
A perfect square wave has exactly twice (2 times) the power delivery compared to a perfect sinewave with the same peak voltage.

An overdriven (clipped peaks) amplifier with just a tiny amount of measured distortion (1% due to clipped peaks) sounds terrible.
Try a sinewave and gradually increase the level into a high impedance load (an 8ohms speaker with a 100r to 1k0 resistor in series). Listen to it just as the scope starts to show mild clipping. It is very clear when the signal becomes clipped.
There is hard clipping (typical of solid state amps) and soft clipping (more common in tube amps, but mimicked intentionally in guitar amps). In the latter, the overdrive doesn't sound terrible as the circuit is designed such that the gain starts tapering off after the signal exceeds the rated 'clean' level. If overdriven by a sinewave, the tops of the sinewave would appear squashed (as opposed to having their heads chopped off flat). I like this approach even in 'clean' amps because it is more forgiving to occasional peaks.

I want to keep about 20% voltage headroom for this purpose.

Suggestions for amplifier ratingsHide this!Advertise here!