MOSFET qg cares & concerns for CCS & HV regs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I get that large die/high capacitance/high gate charge cam be a concern when using MOSFET’s for amplification...Miller effect.

What about for CCS & HV regulator applications? Is it still undesirable there because of the role the power sources play in the sound of an amp, or is it less important, possibly even an advantage for noise?

Thanks

Starting with unfavorable parameters in the first place may not be the best of beginnings, but if required, everything is manageable: I have shown examples of decent (not super-high performance) HV regulators, search in the PSU section, and even with large mosfets, it is possible to achieve vanishingly low capacitance CCS's: this example has a few pF's, and in fact, the wiring dominates:
DC-Bias feed for inductors
Of course, it is for metrological purposes, but if you accept a few tens of pF's, the implementation can be much more relaxed

Since ure probably not trying to detect thunder with ur CCS u might not bootstrap the MOSFET and hence live with the stray capacitances. Sure they play a part as frequency goes up. Its just like paralleling a cap with your FET. But if the CCS sits in a follower's tail, or is the tail in a LTP then u dont have much voltage swing and no extra miller effect.
For audio u probably dont need to fret but if u need flat response 》MHz to sleep then do cool stuff like bootstraps etc.
But yes I'd always select the smallest possible FET that can handle the job since they have smaller stray cap. Not just for better freq response but that capacitance is non linear. Oh and the more voltage over the device the lower the stray C. My humble pennies...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.