Help on Bridging - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2002, 03:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help on Bridging

I built 2 ESP 3a power amps. When i tried bridging the amps together i get a huge hum from the speakers. I tested the amps individually and it was allright. I tried using 10 ohm resistor to ground to isolate the loop and even disconnecting main's earth leaving the amp floating but still hum is there. Anyone can show some light on this area please do write in.
Old 18th April 2002, 04:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Could you explain how exactly you did the bridging?
Old 18th April 2002, 06:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Info

Well Rod designed the amp to allow bridging. After the differential input a resistor(22k) from amp 2 can be connected to the output of amp1 . I did just that and follow the instructions of grounding the input cap to ground. Do you need more info?
Old 18th April 2002, 08:04 PM   #4
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can try some experiments.
First, disconnect the bridging circuit and ground both inputs, then measure the voltage between the two amp outputs (where in a bridge configuration you would connect the speaker). It should be very close to 0, because you said they work properly when not bridged.
With the bridging resistor still removed, apply the same input signal to both amps. Do you see exactly the same output on both channels (voltage between them is 0)? A scope in differential mode would be useful here.
Then, reconnect the bridging resistor and ground the input, then measure the voltage again. You should be measuring the "hum" that you can hear if the speakers were connected. Then measure each output relative to ground. Which one is the hum coming from? Or are you seeing signal on both?
If you can create a differential source (see Rod's Project 14, for instance), you can remove the bridging circuit and just drive both amps from opposite polarity input signals. I think this is a better approach anyway.
A diagram showing exactly how you hooked things up would be useful.
Old 20th April 2002, 05:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

Dear Paulb thanks for the help
manage to work it out
Thanks alot
Old 20th April 2002, 01:49 PM   #6
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

For the benefit of other members NickC, could you please tell us how you fixed the problem.

Thanks.
Old 20th April 2002, 09:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default The solution

I didn't really fixed the problem. There was no problem at all. What happen was i left my preamp on and tested out the power amp. Normally everything should be fine, but sometimes when i turn on the preamp first and later switch on the power amps there would be hum present. Well on testing day, i left my preamp on and switch on the bridge-amp and found huge hum. I first thought that the hum was a problem. Then later when tried again hum was gone. So there was no problem at all the amp work fine except my stupidty got the better of me. Sorry for starting this thread but thanks for the help

Hide this!Advertise here!