Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Marantz PM 80 mk2
Marantz PM 80 mk2
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2018, 09:49 AM   #1
Joanito is offline Joanito  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz PM 80 mk2

Hi all,

I am considering simulate one channel of this amplifier in LTSpice. I've been seeing the technical details of this amp and i also want to know more about it.

Here is a link to service manual download:

Marantz PM-80-Mk2 Service Manual, Service Manual, Repair Schematics

The amplifier operates in both classes ( AB and A ). It even has a button to do the switch. What i understand after i saw the service manual is that: when it operates in class A, the voltages in the rails must drop to 24.9v and -24.9v, correct ?

image MPM80 1.jpg

So i can see the power supply providing the correct voltages... :

image MPM80 2.jpg

... But i don't see the power supply providing the 24.9v and -24.9v. And i can see the button to switch classes in the schematic but i don't understand how this circuit works... After all this voltages must come from somewhere, right ?

Or the voltages in the rails, when switched to class A, remain +56.7v and -57v, but what they mean is that they can be reduced to 24.9v and -24.9v if we want, is that it ?

Thanks.

Last edited by Joanito; 9th January 2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 9th January 2018, 10:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is this a very good amplifier ? It claims to have a very low THD value considering other comercial amplifiers. Would that THD be true ?
Thanks.
Old 12th January 2018, 06:43 AM   #3
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hello

i got the manual from this page
Download Marantz PM-80 Service Manual

If you look at Page 10 you will see the connection to the switch (Class a switch) PSIO (board) JSI2. If you press this Clss A botton the ralay (L851) is switching its 2 conntact and the power transformer provide you the "magic" 17.3V AC -after filtering you get about 20.5VDC.
Maybe in the future this relay contact get worse...so you have to change the relay because the contact ar gone.

regards
chris
Attached Images
File Type: png Class A_Power Rail for Marantz PM 80.PNG (887.0 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by chermann; 12th January 2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12th January 2018, 09:48 AM   #4
cumbb is offline cumbb
diyAudio Member

"Is this a very good amplifier ?"
No;-)
Old 12th January 2018, 10:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

give it a try

...if you want to pimp this old amp then try to change the PSU electrolytic caps and then the others...first electrolytic.
I did that for my 28 years old Preamp Accuphase C200V and it worked perfectly! Watch out the polarity and the size of the caps in some area !

greetings
chris
Old 12th January 2018, 12:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys,

...So if i want to simulate one channel of this amp operating in booth classes in LTSpice, i just have to replace like this:

img tr.jpg

... and the new switch defines if we want it operating in class A or in class AB ?
Is that it ?
Old 12th January 2018, 03:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanito View Post
Thanks guys,

...So if i want to simulate one channel of this amp operating in booth classes in LTSpice, i just have to replace like this:

Attachment 656333

... and the new switch defines if we want it operating in class A or in class AB ?
Is that it ?
sorry ..i dont get your point. What do you want with the left drawing? it looks to me like a opto coupler.You want to change this to a switch??
Old 12th January 2018, 04:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, that opto coupler closes or open the circuit that defines class A or class AB, right ? Can i do it ? ( i mean the repleacement ) ?
Old 12th January 2018, 07:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanito View Post
Yes, that opto coupler closes or open the circuit that defines class A or class AB, right ? Can i do it ? ( i mean the repleacement ) ?
hmm looks not bad... should work....
but why change the switching function? try in clss A for listening and for party mode release the button
Old 12th January 2018, 08:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Because it would be my first constructed and simulated circuit in LTSpice and i'm afraid i can't found opto couplers in component menu :-D . And i i'm not very experienced with LTSpice also and replace the opto coupler by a switch makes circuit more simple...

Thanks.

Marantz PM 80 mk2Hide this!Advertise here!