Marantz PM 80 mk2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am considering simulate one channel of this amplifier in LTSpice. I've been seeing the technical details of this amp and i also want to know more about it.

Here is a link to service manual download:

Marantz PM-80-Mk2 Service Manual, Service Manual, Repair Schematics

The amplifier operates in both classes ( AB and A ). It even has a button to do the switch. What i understand after i saw the service manual is that: when it operates in class A, the voltages in the rails must drop to 24.9v and -24.9v, correct ?

image MPM80 1.jpg

So i can see the power supply providing the correct voltages... :

image MPM80 2.jpg

... But i don't see the power supply providing the 24.9v and -24.9v. And i can see the button to switch classes in the schematic but i don't understand how this circuit works... After all this voltages must come from somewhere, right ?

Or the voltages in the rails, when switched to class A, remain +56.7v and -57v, but what they mean is that they can be reduced to 24.9v and -24.9v if we want, is that it ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello

i got the manual from this page
Download Marantz PM-80 Service Manual

If you look at Page 10 you will see the connection to the switch (Class a switch) PSIO (board) JSI2. If you press this Clss A botton the ralay (L851) is switching its 2 conntact and the power transformer provide you the "magic" 17.3V AC -after filtering you get about 20.5VDC.
Maybe in the future this relay contact get worse...so you have to change the relay because the contact ar gone.

regards
chris

Attachments

• Class A_Power Rail for Marantz PM 80.PNG
    Class A_Power Rail for Marantz PM 80.PNG
    887 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
give it a try

...if you want to pimp this old amp then try to change the PSU electrolytic caps and then the others...first electrolytic.
I did that for my 28 years old Preamp Accuphase C200V and it worked perfectly! Watch out the polarity and the size of the caps in some area !

greetings :D
chris

Thanks guys,

...So if i want to simulate one channel of this amp operating in booth classes in LTSpice, i just have to replace like this:

View attachment 656333

... and the new switch defines if we want it operating in class A or in class AB ?
Is that it ?

sorry ..i dont get your point. What do you want with the left drawing? it looks to me like a opto coupler.You want to change this to a switch??

Because it would be my first constructed and simulated circuit in LTSpice and i'm afraid i can't found opto couplers in component menu :-D . And i i'm not very experienced with LTSpice also and replace the opto coupler by a switch makes circuit more simple...

Thanks.

Hi, can anyone point me to a link of a tutorial of how to model new transistors for ltspice. I've found this one:

SPICE modeling of a BJT from Datasheet - YouSpice

... it explains how to extract the tansistor details by analising the graphs of the component datasheet ( this is what i want ) ... but, per example, for this transistor, the 2sc3067, the graphs on the datasheet are expressed in other ways ( different from the ones in tutorial ) , and i'm no expert and i am confused and i can't extract the values to use on ltspice. Can you point me in the direction of an alternative of this good tutorial ?

Thanks.

Hi there, thank you . Really low values of distortion. The value of thd at 10khz is even lower than the value sepcified on the amp specs. Of course the vdc and -vdc in simulation are exact and don't need capacitors, right ? It's different from a power supply, i mean...

Can you still point me in the direction of a tutorial about modeling new transistors for me to make some experiences in ltspice and to learn more ? Preferably by analising the graphs in datasheets ...

Thanks mate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.