Need opinion about Mitsubishi DA-A10DC Power Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is on available locally for 350 and i need an amp to drive my woofers. Anyone use this amp?

Attachments

• 00I0I_ijUc4TmV0Hr_600x450.jpg
    00I0I_ijUc4TmV0Hr_600x450.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 262
Hihi;-)
Bought that amp. Antique, the parts;-) Common circuits, common "erection" - for the most;-)
Sounds horrible. Gray, flat, curtained, grainy, rustling ... a lot of noise. What else;-?!
Removed the boards and used trafos and caps to build a (nearly) JLH - choke including (second trafo).

You could use germanium-transes: TO-3-fixings;-)

... of ...-?

How about you restored it before pulling it apart, how did you expect something 40 years old would sound, especially after going through who knows what during that time?
I truly hate it when people do that, except if the unit is not fit for anything else but parting out due to mechanical damage and cosmetics that cannot be restored to a reasonable level.
None of the vintage stuff sounds like in it's day, and it's almost a miracle if you find a piece that comes close, usually if it worked fairly regularly and in a good environment. If it sat somewhere in a basement or cellar for a decade, it's not going to be even close. Plus, some parts then were not as good regarding longevity, especially some early plastic case transistors - many parameters would degrade, in exploitation it would mostly be perceived as excess noise.
Properly restored, it's a (very) different story.

Good sound does not depend on age. But this 40 years old stuff sounds as horrible as every actual ML or Krell or Accu: "...the unit is not fit...". I want listen music, not drive washing machines or elevators or mowers;-)
... or collect garbage.

Pioneer: I would separate ground and chassis - not use the chassis as circuit, replace all the wires, remove the first stage of the power amp, remove the line amp, replace all the solder joints with new - a little bit other.-) And many more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.