Getting 31v on speaker outputs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have finaly build amplifier with STK442-090.
I build it on prefboard but I did my best to make it as best as possible.
The problem is that im getting -31vdc out of both speaker outputs...
I have checked everything. But I can't find any error.
I'm getting +-31v out of psu to the board, both rails have power.
What should I check, measure?

Sub gnd should be connected to gnd rail right?

Help me please:confused:

Attachments

• STK442-1.jpg
    STK442-1.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 202
Don't run it for any length of time without a heatsink. Have you connected input and output grounds as Mark says?

I run it without heatsink just for test. I have to drill holes to the heatsink and I cant do it today. I am monotoring chips temperature all the time.
Should I connect output and input gnds together? If i measure input lines voltage across input gnd I get only few 10 of mV. But when I measure it across gnd/output gnd i get -31v so should I connect them together?

It would seem to infer your initial power supply is not correct.The data sheet STK442-090 SANYO, STK442-090 Datasheet suggests to use a centretap transformer and to derive a positive and negative voltage. It also indicates 500 ohm resistors on each rail to ground. My guess is you have unequal voltages at the power supply hence the output contains an offset now indicating that error.

Check to see that you have positive voltage at Pin 1, and negative voltage at Pin 2

Good. Well, Mark spotted it first, easy to overlook. Can you see why it had the effect that it did? It provides a reference for the input and controls the feedback, without it the output floated towards the power rail

Yes, I understand a little now. But I don`t have much knowledge about details about amplifiers. This is my second big build (i dont count easy ones with only positive voltage and very few components ). First was single tube EL84 amplifier.

It would seem to infer your initial power supply is not correct.The data sheet STK442-090 SANYO, STK442-090 Datasheet suggests to use a centretap transformer and to derive a positive and negative voltage. It also indicates 500 ohm resistors on each rail to ground. My guess is you have unequal voltages at the power supply hence the output contains an offset now indicating that error.

Check to see that you have positive voltage at Pin 1, and negative voltage at Pin 2

Hello, I already fixed problem by connecting input gnd to gnd.
I have center tapped transformer, same power supply that is on the schematic, except for 2 6800uF instead of 10000uF capacitors (had the capacitors laying around and I don`t know if is necessary to use 10000uF. Sanyo stated the same psu for all stks from 15w to 200w rms).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.