Building a sub-out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have encountered a problem that I have found no real solution to on the net and that is:

I have a small sub with a plate-amp with only one way to connect it to a amp and that is a phono input, obviously meant for connecting to a normal "sub-out".

Now, my plan is to feed that sub from one of my amps, but alas, that amp has no output connector for a sub.

Now to my question: Which is the best way to connect that sub? Do I have to make a small box with connections "Speakers in/out" and "Sub out" and in that case, fill that box with electronic components?

Can I use the "pre-out" connections in some way?

Regards//lasse
Stockholm, Sweden

This is from a Sony sub. Take a look at the input board. You can't use the pre-out connections, since they usually are fixed level.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 218
My cheapo Sony sub has an adapter to connect the sub to the speakers outputs of an amplifier or receiver. One 2.7K Ohm resistor goes to each amplifier output and the other end of each resistor is connected together to form a summing point and that's the input to the sub, simple as it gets.

Craig

My cheapo Sony sub has an adapter to connect the sub to the speakers outputs of an amplifier or receiver. One 2.7K Ohm resistor goes to each amplifier output and the other end of each resistor is connected together to form a summing point and that's the input to the sub, simple as it gets.

Craig

Hi,
This seems like a simple enough solution, but ( here is where you electronics- knowing people come in) is it always safe to connect the two speaker outputs to eachother via a resistor of abt 5-10 kohms?

Regards// Lasse

This is from a Sony sub. Take a look at the input board. You can't use the pre-out connections, since they usually are fixed level.

Hello,

this looks like a safer solution in that the grounds from the two channels are separated by a few Kohms.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/solid-state/651399d1513383472t-building-sub-capture-jpg

I think that this is a safer method than just connecting the two grounds, which can cause problems (am I right?)

Regards//lasse

Hi and thanks for all the suggestions and feedback.

Yesterday, I tried a ”Quick and dirty” solution in that I tok the signal from one of the channels from the preamp and fed directly into the Sub.

I realize that the lowlevel info from the other channel is missing but do you think that this really matter?

Regards// Lasse
Stockholm, Sweden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.