Best DIY SE amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is in your opinion best DIY SE amplifier?

I have Pass Zen now and I would like to go to "next level" (if that's possible :D ). I like simplicity and sound of SE amplifier so I decided to built SE amp rather then for example Jlh, Hiraga or sx amplifier. I'm interested in transistor designs. I like warm, "sweet" sound.
I'm aware that SE or any class A amp needs good PSU.

My speakers are 8ohm.

Don't look any further than F2 or F2j but need high efficiency (90dB/W) or near speakers. Works best with full range speakers but never hear anything bad about the with crossovers. Beware power out put is low 5-10watt. You can't rock the house with them.

Last edited:
That is no true Waslo. There are a lot of happy users for F2 including myself. If you are looking for a simple design with no feedback I don't know of any other amp other than F2 , SiT2 and tube amp designs.
Well I still haven't made your design Waslo. If anyone wants that board I can ship it out to them.

That is no true Waslo. There are a lot of happy users for F2 including myself. If you are looking for a simple design with no feedback I don't know of any other amp other than F2 , SiT2 and tube amp designs.
Well I still haven't made your design Waslo. If anyone wants that board I can ship it out to them.

I know :D . Zen :D . I noticed there is lot of similarity between Zen and F2. Shame that j-fet for f2j is not available for me. Maybe I'll try F2...it looks like updated (I think ;) ) Zen.

Last edited:
bwaslo your board need a professional touch up to be honest.the routing is done in a silly way kind of takes away the credibility of your claims. Have you considered revamping it? And may be you can ship a unit out to everyone to listen to. It is hard to sell a new amp when all those established designs and designers are out there!
No offense. A feed back for a great DIYer as you are.

I can buy components for Zen (maybe without coils for PSU) for 92.52zł. including shipments (just checked it to be sure that I'm not making this up :D ). In my country 1$ is 3.56zł. Turns out to be 25.99$ :D .

Obviously I'm not talking about cost with transformer but... new 250VA 2x24V toroid transformer costs 32$ + ship :) . So... :D .

Last edited:
I'm not talking about boutique parts of course. PSU caps in this "cost assuming" were Panasonic 10000uf/35v. Output caps were normal jamicons (musical fidelity used them...don't know why ;) ). Nichicons are of course more expensive but even with them I think that 75$ is max. for components and 32$ for transformer. Smallest new chassis I found that would fit Zen cost about 144$ . I have mine in the same but I bought used one with another amp in it :) .

Do U still want to go here for vacation :D ? For me this prices for enclosure are sick :D . I'm not used to pay 144$ for chassis :D .

People in Poland made accu-clones for about 300-400$ (whole amps ;) ).

Last edited:
I saw SEWA and I thought about it but it's a power follower. I would like to have an amp that can run without pre amp. Less devices and components in way of signal better the sound is ;) . That's why I build Zen. With reduced input resistor it can be used directly from regulated cd output (I know that there is a preamp for Zen but it runs fine without preamp too ;) ).

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is a fun amplifier to build. Low cost and easy. Don’t know if it’s the “best”, but certainly sounds very good. It is a single MOSFET buffer though, so needs a powerful preamp. With the Aksa Lender pre is easy to make with 5 actives and is very low distortion and can drive the MoFo to 11W rms with a 19v smps. I am using with a 90dB Tang Band W5-2143 fullrange speaker. 11Wrms is right in JLH territory. Different amp though and not single ended.

Build This MoFo!

I really like Bwaslo’s 2nd Spring SE Class A for how much power it packs in such a compact space. Compare it to size of any Pass Class A.

Last edited:
;-)))))

My experiences:

No board!
Extreme psu: active and CLCL...-)))
ONE psu for all!!!
Just one voltage!!!
TO-220 transes. MosFets are superb. JFets are not necessary.
p-channel;-?
Current source: passive (very open) - active - dynamic ("finer", but more "sound"): cause Addition of parts. The more parts, the more "sound". At moment I love a pure resistor, a MosFet and a trimmer.
You will listen, hear every part: resistors, wires, caps, diameters, casing, screws...-)))
and layout: circuit!!! NOBODY does regard!!!
Later: balanced SE;-)))

Nobody could help or advise, I think;-)

2 x 5 watt for endless power and DYNAMIC ("piano-forte") and clearness and cleanness - compared with any/all pp or others.

No multiway speakers! Just fullrange, extreme built and tuned! No crossovers!

My experiences;-)

LG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.